Drilling holes in a 1-2-3 block

Another poster reported success in drilling the unthreaded holes in a cheap 1-2-3 block out to allow a 3/8 inch stud to pass through, so I decided to try it.

Clamped the victim block to the drill press table and drilled it with a Rodman (made in Germany) 3/8 carbide-tipped bit, using low speed (500 rpm) and lots of water-based coolant.

It squealed a lot, but drilled quite well, leaving a pretty clean hole, yielding lots of little chips and no long curly chips. The problem came when I got half-way through, drilling into the cross-hole. The interrupted cut broke the carbide wings off the drill bit piece by piece. Things got a lot noisier, but I was still able to complete the hole, and a 3/8 stud now passes through.

I was able to drill a second good hole with that bit, but that's probably it. Though I bet it would still drill, but might not make the full diameter needed.

So, I tried some cheap Vermin America masonry bits. Couldn't get through one hole, never mind two holes. It took two VA bits to make a usable hole, and totally mangled both VA bits.

It seems that Rodman uses far better materials than VA. What a surprise.

Joe Gwinn

Reply to
Joseph Gwinn

Methinks that EDM may be the "way to bet" on that one.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Wisnia

EDM? You must have deep pockets. I've drilled through taps and reamers with carbide endmills.

Having a geared power feed is really nice but possibly not necessary.

OP should consider GRT-series carbide tipped masonry drills from Relton

for resellers). Drill's packaging specifically states the drill can go through hardened metal. Special tip geometry and carbide grade. Typically 1/3 extra $$$ for GRT as opposed to standard masonry bit.

Regards,

Robin

Reply to
Robin S.

I wuz thinking that's be a good excuse to build your own EDM setup, huh?

Jeff (Just dreaming....)

Reply to
Jeff Wisnia