Finding dowel pins in ground surface?

Is there a way to make dowel pins show in a ground D-2 die part that has two

5/32" pins that blend in perfectly? I use the random punch method now. I've tried holding them up to the light to no avail.
Reply to
Tom Gardner

You could use a dye-penetrant spray like those sold for finding cracks in wire terminals and other fittings. Or try mixing a little layout dye into some penetrating oil and coating the part. Let it sit for a while, then wipe off. The outlines of the pins should show up. Regards,

Bob

Reply to
Bob

Tom, Try this stuff (magnetic particle bath)

Dan

Reply to
Dan

Can you wire wheel the surface? Might make them show up better than putting dings all over the place until you find them.

Reply to
Joe

A company called "Magnaflux" ?used to make equipment for checking cylinder heads for cracks. They had a powerful magnet that latched onto the head. A little puff pack then was used to spray powdered iron in the suspect area. The powder built up around any discontinuity in the magnetic lines of force, and showed up cracks even when they weren't visible otherwise. Tom

Reply to
Tom Miller

Nitric acid may do the job.

Gunner

"At the core of liberalism is the spoiled child - miserable, as all spoiled children are, unsatisfied, demanding, ill-disciplined, despotic and useless. Liberalism is a philosphy of sniveling brats." -- P.J. O'Rourke

Reply to
Gunner

"Tom Miller" wrote in news:csvihf$rok$ snipped-for-privacy@possum.melbpc.org.au:

A speaker magnet and grinding dust will do the same job :)

Reply to
Anthony

On Sun, 23 Jan 2005 18:08:27 +1100, the inscrutable "Tom Miller" spake:

I much preferred the dye magnaflux, SpotCheck.

---------------------------------------------------------- Please return Stewardess to her original upright position. --------------------------------------

Tagline-based T-shirts!

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Maybe the stuff used to read obliterated serial numbers, such as

?

Reply to
Enders Epilogue

Try use a dye penatration spray. The outline of the dowel will show up as a small crack would. Sometimes a simple spray with penatrating oil, let sit for a minute or so, then wipe the surface show the outline.

Reply to
Herb