flame cutting tiny holes

Hello everyone,

I have a lampshade that's made out of metal and decorated by burning tiny holes through to create a pattern. I have the smallest tip I could get on my oxy-acetylene torch but that is still way too big. Does anyone have a suggestion for a torch & tip combination that could make these fine cuts?

Thanks very much, Adriaan Gerber -->

Adriaan Gerber

Sure it's not just done electrically? I've previously used a copper point, and a capacitor charged to a few dozen volts to cut tiny holes in razor blades.

Reply to
Ian Stirling

There's always the Smith Little Torch, the problem with that is that the large surface area sinks away heat faster than the torch can generate it. Is this an existing work that you're trying to emulate or something you've thought of to do? If it's an existing work, are you sure the holes were burned with a torch and not with something else, say an electric arc? Or maybe just punched by some method? Etching with acid and a resist pattern would also be another method.

Stan

Reply to
Stan Schaefer

You might try Smith Equipment's Little Torch. This torch, I am more than sure, will let you achieve the results you are seeking.

have one of the torches and it can do some awesome stuff on small work.

HTH PJ

Reply to
PJ

Could the original shade have been pierced by a plasma cutter? My neighbor has some sheet steel garden decorations that were done this way and resemble O/A torch cuts, just much cleaner. ERS

Reply to
Eric R Snow

You could use EDM ( electric discharge machining ) to make tiny holes or a punch or a drill ( if the holes are round ), or etch them if the material is not very thick. Dan

Reply to
Dan Caster

My uncle used to make decorative flowerpot hangars by burning holes and slots into discarded 1 gallon paint cans. I saw him do holes down under

1/8" for sure, and maybe smaller, in some pretty thin sheet. His trick was to not use a cutting torch with the extra oxygen jet, but to just use a small tip in an acetylene welding torch and set the flame way lean (rich in oxygen) so it would burn through. Then it was just a matter of practicing when to pull the flame back as the metal went from red to orange to hole :-).

-- Regards, Carl Ijames carl.ijames at verizon.net

Reply to
Carl Ijames

I have the victor version of this torch. it's a lot of fun with a tin can....

Reply to
bridger

This sounds like what the holes look like, you can tell they have melted around the edges and they're round but irregular.

Thanks to everyone that replied. Adriaan Gerber -->

Adriaan Gerber

I've done exactly that. Made butterflies out of blackplate from 1# tomato cans. Cut the outline with tin snips and made the patterns on the wings with a Smith Little Torch. Brazed it to a piece of piano wire, epoxied in a rock. They bounce above the garden with a slight breeze.

Practice...practice...practice!

Reply to
Ken Moffett