Forming ("chasing") internal threads?

Snap-On makes this internal thread chasing tool:

It comes with what seems to be a selection of tips in different t.p.i. but not diameters.

Since there are no diameter specs, I presume that these tips don't span the entire diameter of the hole, but lay against an "arc" of the diameter.

As best I can figure you place the tip (the thread edge) into the threads and kind of scrape the threads. Unlike a tap or a chaser made for a specific diameter threaded hole, this tool seems to rely on a bit of side-force to affect the threads.

How do you use a tool like this?

Reply to
notme

Those devices are thread RESTORERS, not for cutting new threads and yes you use them as you describe.

Reply to
jbslocum

The name describes it, it chases threads, doesn't originate them in a straight bore. For cleaning goop out of threads, fixing damaged ones and maybe cleaning newly tapped ones. Used as you describe. Beats fishing around with a bent scriber and pieces of paper towel. Would be handy for various automotive tasks where you've got some piece with a non-standard diameter and a standard TPI. From the rather coarse thread sizes, I'd say that's exactly what was intended. Locking rings, retaining rings and the like.

Stan

Reply to
stans4

Reply to