FS - Southbend vertical mill parts

Have a few assorted parts from a SB vertical mill head for sale:

1 HP 3PH 208-220/440 GE motor, original drum switch, motor step (V belt) pulley, timing belt pulley, spindle drive pulley. photo here:

I also have some of the quill and spindle parts, they are not shown in the picture. All parts are used and were from an operating machine that was broken up to build a custom machine.

If you can use any of this, make me an offer on any or all of it. Not trying to make a killing here. I need to make space and I really hate to scrap this stuff if anyone can use it.

I can send closeups of anything you may be interested in.

-Al A.

Reply to
AL A.

Either your newsreader or your news server has modified the URL to "protect" your "privacy" (the "..." between "v4" and 'e', so I can't look at the site to see what you have up -- and neither can anyone else. :-)

And no -- you *can't* e-mail me the photos, because my mail server blocks anything over 30k in size, so only the tinyest and most useless of photos could make it through.

Maybe if you quote this article, and on a separate line tell what should be between the '/'s, we could re-build your URL and actually see what you are offering.

Ouch!

Not to me, you can't.

Good luck, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

Don, Sorry about that, I had not noticed that my privacy was being protected on my behalf. Thanks for pointing that out. I've not had that happen before. Strange. Perhaps the latest "update" to Thunderbird has added that "feature" or something. I'll be on the watch for that in the future.

"Ouch!" indeed, I was not crazy about the idea either. But it was a call made by the powers that be at the place I work. It was used as a "base" for a specialized grinding machine. So all we really needed was the knee and the x-axis on the table. The ram and all of the head stuff was removed and discarded. I salvaged what I could. It worked out OK for me, as I have a near identical mill, and so scored a few bit I was missing and some spare parts. But I do hate breaking up working machines.

Sending you (or anyone else for that matter) pictures is likely now moot, as someone has already claimed this stuff.

Thanks again for pointing that out, Don

Al A.

Reply to
AL A.

It may be that Thunderbird is abbreviating an overlong "word", not realizing that it's a URL. Try delimiting the url with corner brackets (less-than and greater-than symbols):

< full URL including http or https without the leading and trailing spaces >

Here is a random eBay listing:

One can also use parens:

|66%3A2|39%3A1|72%3A1205|240%3A1318|301%3A1|293%3A1|294%3A50) Note that the URL is marked as a link.

This bracket pair (plus the http or https, or ftp for that matter) tells the newsreader or email program that it's dealing with a URL, not for instance an excessively long German word, and tells it exactly where the URL starts and stops.

Joe Gwinn

Reply to
Joseph Gwinn

The parens didn't work after passage through the newsgroup, but the angle brackets do still work. Parens should work, but never mind.

Joe Gwinn

Reply to
Joseph Gwinn

[ ... ]

:-)

Actually, no it isn't -- but *nothing* is marked as a link in my newsreader by my choice. It is prohibited from firing up a browser, and it certainly is not one on its own.

Not *all* newsreaders. Many were designed and put into service before URLs even came into being. :-) (The same is true of usenet itself.)

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

OK. But I don't see the danger of allowing link underlining, especially if one is running Solaris or Linux or MacOS.

When I read my own posting, the () string was no longer marked as a link, but the string was. It's the same newsreader in both directions. Oh well.

Hmm. I have just one question ... how did you get all those machine tools into the hermit cave?

Well, two questions ... How did you get 3 phase power in that cave?

The archeologists are going to struggle to understand this dig site.

Joe Gwinn

Reply to
Joseph Gwinn

zyzzy

plugh

They'll be in a maze of twisty little passages, all alike.

Reply to
John Husvar

Link underlining leads to the ability of the newsreader to open the link on a click -- even if it is an accidental click.

And that ability leads to the newsreader or the browser pre-fetching information from the site, which allows the site to record a "visit" even if you did not intend one -- and to record your IP address (less of a problem with dynamic IPs, but mine are static.)

When I'm posting, the newsreader invokes an editor of my choice (from the setting of the "EDITOR" environment variable. When I'm reading, the newsreader is either using a pager of my choice, or its own built in one. Only the built-in one is likely to be able to handle the underlining, and my editor certainly does not know how to underline, so the rules are different when posting vs when reading.

And this is not counting what the news server does when it folds long lines. (Both marked lines were folded as I received them, and that makes it more difficult for a program to be *sure* what range should be underlined. :-) For that matter, some folding will introduce a space at the beginning of each extra line created by folding, which can confuse the underline algorithm even more, and make what it encloses incorrect.

With difficulty -- even though in reality it is a two-car garage. But I really need a four-car garage to hold it all and give me room to navigate. :-)

VFDs. The town prohibits anything over 3HP in a hobby shop (presumably thinking of wood planers and large circular saws which are massive noise generators, not metalworking tools. :-) This, in combination with the power company wanting an arm and two legs to run three phase from the main lines going by about a quarter of a block away.

Indeed so.

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

And don't forget the plover's egg. :-)

Hmm ... I've recently downloaded and compiled a newer version of that program. Perhaps I should devote some time to trying to play it to completion.

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

Well, my IP address is dynamic for sure, but it doesn't change very often, so I suppose people could track this. But there are lots of tracking methods, and new ones every day, so if I really cared about this I would use one of those zero knowledge proxy services.

Actually, can you arrange a dynamic IP range with short enough leases to sow confusion where appropriate?

Folding and quoting is a problem regardless, so nothing is lost by telling at least the first generation where the URL starts and stops.

And the plover eggs.

Joe Gwinn

Reply to
Joseph Gwinn

I think that it could be done -- but since I have web servers and mail servers, they *need* static IPs. And I'm not sure how much inefficiency it would introduce to cause leases to be terminated on five minute intervals or less.

[ ... ]

Right -- but saying that it will be underlined is making presumptions as to the nature and behavior of all the newsreaders involved.

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

I meant the dynamic addresses only for browsing, not the other things. One can have both static and dynamic addresses in the same system without difficulty.

Five minutes is probably shorter than necessary, and may interfere with browsing. Once every few hours or even once a day would pretty well muddy things up for would-be trackers.

True it isn't perfect, but it is pretty reliable nonetheless, at least in the original posting.

Joe Gwinn

Reply to
Joseph Gwinn