General Motors Mistake

Hi all,

General Motors, builders of vehicle shaped objects that still include limited metal content have really embarrassed themselves with this one... absolutely beyond belief.

_Eco_Friendly_Ad

Sorry about the long link, the tinyurl link below points to the same 'digg' listing.

Erik

Reply to
Erik

"they (GM) have ... a ton of momentum..." Guess what, Rush, a ton is a measure of mass and hence inertia. Momentum would be ton-feet/sec.

Reply to
Don Foreman

========= In one respect you are correct.

It does not appear the Rush makes any claims, but I know that he and his shows are expensive.

This makes me question the sanity of GMC's management in that they turned a profit and are again blowing the money on fru-fru juice rather than paying down debt, funding pensions, developing new vehicles [and correcting old problems] and as a last resort, paying dividends. click on

It is also not clear if this was what you and I would call a profit as in "show me the money," or if it is more Enron accounting, i.e. trading the dog that is on the books for 10,000$ for two cats "worth" 6,000$ each and booking a 2,000$ profit.

The falling US dollar and the fact that the earnings were mainly generated over-seas indicates these may be more currency speculation than manufacturing "profits." FWIW -- GMC pays no US corporate tax on foreign "profits" until that money is repatriated to the domestic corporation, while sucking hard on the US tit, and evading 100% pension funding.

Unka' George [George McDuffee] ============ Merchants have no country. The mere spot they stand on does not constitute so strong an attachment as that from which they draw their gains.

F. George McDuffee

It does sound a little strange (OK very strange) on the surface, but advertising is seldom logical because so few people spend their money logically. A few years back the state of Florida was advertising "Florida Orange Juice" on Rush's program, both the orange juice sales and the liberals blood pressure went up significantly. Liberal groups called state senators and representatives and got the advertisements pulled from the show, sales and blood pressure return to pre-Limbaugh levels. Rush has a big fan base, I would not bet against this selling a significant number of cars.

What I thought was really, really strange was Peter Coors running for senate as a family values candidate after years of running beer advertisements featuring scantily clad young ladies and leering drunks. Go figure.

Carl Boyd

Reply to
Carl

Chill out, Don. Would you have been happy if he'd said "... a buttload of momentum..."?

Listen to the radio program a coupla times so you can hear the context.

technomaNge

Reply to
technomaNge

I think I heard the context OK: GM bought an endorsement from a media w**re. Rush and others, regardless of perceived political position or posture, tell what sells one way or another. It's a job that produces very nice income for them and they're good at it. Free enterprise and first amendment. It's part of what we're all about, or say we are until our ox gets scraped.

My comment was meant as a frivolous tongue-in-cheek nerdy nitpick. I continue to believe, or perhaps hope, that there are still some readers of this forum with a modicum of inteligence, tolerance, civility and sense of humor.

Chill out, ol' Son of pseudonym screen-name anonymity.

Herr Nick Mueller may irritate the hell out of some, but he has the integrity to sign his name AFAIK.

Reply to
Don Foreman

Don Foreman wrote in article ...

Now THAT's funny!

I occasionally get my chops busted for my preferred nickname and obviously phony e-mail addy, yet I would suggest that a large percentage of names that appear to be real are actually fake.

For example, had I chosen to use a phony name such as "John Rushton", and used the phony e-mail " snipped-for-privacy@NOSPAMaol.com", everybody would assume that I am John Rushton and "legit."

Here's a challenge.....I've done it!

Go to ANY ten posters with legitimate-appearing names who you do not know personally and have never had an e-mail exchange with, and send an e-mail to the addy they have listed.....making the appropriate anti-SPAM "adjustments" of course.

I bet more than 50 percent do not go through due to the e-mails being false......That's been MY experience.

If the e-mail is false, how can you be sure that the actual name is NOT false?

You CAN'T!

The very structure of the Internet is not conducive to truthfulness.

These newsgroups are but a mere extension of CB Radio.....Disconnected electronic personas.

Yes, there are, indeed, SOME people who use their "real" names and e-mail addys, but they are the exception to the rule......

....and they are also the ones whose e-mail boxes are overflowing with SPAM.

SPAMMERS, too, can figure out how to "drop all the X's" to latch onto the "real" e-mail addy.

Reply to
*

So when they grind to a halt they'll never be able to start up again?

Reply to
Tim Wescott

Wow! Don, I have read and liked your posts for a while.

  1. I didn't see the smilie, so took your humor as insult.
  2. I have been carrying this screen name(4) so long it is a habit.
  3. Now I'm insulted...comparing me to Herr Mueller :)
  4. I usta read posts from someone named Technomage, a real wizard at troubleshooting computer problems remotely. As I got more into computer-repair/networking, I realized that I just had mangey luck when attempting repairs. Therefore my techno mangey screen nickname.

technomaNge

Reply to
technomaNge

I think I was having an owly night -- which is no excuse. My apologies. I certainly did not intend to compare you to anyone.

Reply to
Don Foreman