Good Protective Coating For Metal?

Opinions please, on a good clear spray product for decorative metal items that will hold up to lots of sun and blowing dust outdoors. Any of the polyurethane products at Home Despot any good or should I stick to industrial supply houses ?. Spray shellac seems reasonably tough but how does it weather ? . DS

Reply to
Dar Shelton

especially if there is a lot of grit flying. The powdercoaters now have some clear coatings that are really tough for most weather conditions.

Ed Angell

Reply to
Ed Angell

It's New Mexico weather/climate : lots of sun , wind, and some blowing dust. Most of what I'm currently needing to coat will be indoor art, but I'm putting a big one up on my roof , and future possibilities include other larger , outdoor ones.

So, what's the next best thing to powdercoating?. (Though I should go price that out)

DS

Reply to
Dar Shelton

I'm fond of a product called Extend, available at any good hardware store. Essentially, it's a rust inhibitor for ferrous metals, but it also provides a tough weather-resistant coating.

It goes on clear but, as part of its bonding and protective chemistry, will turn bright steel a shiny blue-black. May not be what you're looking for.

-chib

Reply to
chibiabos