Got a new trailer

This morning I purchased a trailer to use, among other things, for moving machinery. I already have a mill iin mind.
It has 3 axles, 2 of them have brakes, and a big, 2 speed winch mounted on
the tongue
Pictures in the drop box "Trailer_csb"
As usual I did this pretty impulsively, so I need to dig in and figure out exactly what it needs.
Things I know it needs 1) Wood in the center is rotten. I would like to do this with preasure treated, but the newer presure treated is reportedly fairly corosive. How can I keep it from rusting the frame? I plan on using stainless or hot galvinized bolts.
2) The brakes are not wired up
3) The tongue jack does not work
4) It's uggly and needs some paint, my 9 year old daughter wants to help me paint it red, white, and blue
I plan to check and grease all the wheel bearings. Is there anything else I should check, inspect, or worry about?
I didn't notice the wheels until I got it home. The rim unbolts from the center "spider" I wonder if I'll have problem getting tires put on those rims.
Carl Boyd

I think those are mobile home wheels. I could be wrong.
Here are carls links.
http://metalworking.com/dropbox/Trailer_csb1.jpg
http://metalworking.com/dropbox/Trailer_csb2.jpg
http://metalworking.com/dropbox/Trailer_csb3.jpg
Wes
Wes wrote:

Those wheels are pretty common, I think they're a 14.5". If you look a little you can find 8-ply tires in that size.
If you're going to unhook it with heavy stuff, a landing gear from a semi trailer makes a heck of a tongue jack, just be sure to get the one with the gearbox, got two speeds there.
All the Amish who run sawmills in my area will deck a trailer pretty cheap.. might look into it if you have any where you are. White oak with some motor oil for preservative is my favorite deck material. Wood is nice, stuff gets pretty good traction on wood.
John

Yup, mobile home for sure. You'd be smart to buy and entire axle with wheels and tires just for spare parts. Many times these are left right under the mobile home, you just need somebody to let you take it.
Karl
Karl Townsend wrote:

Motor home axles are made for continous use on the highway. The brakes have some meat on them and will last.
Mobile home axles are not designed for continous use, just to get the trailer to the pad. The linings are very thin and the rest of the hardware is not too good for over the road usage. You can rebuild them with better parts.
John

Harbor Freight.

Cool!
Tires will be easy. Those are mobile home wheels. That trailer may have been made out of an old mobile home. Ill let others discuss the disadvantages of this...shrug
Gunner

I believe that mobile home tires are illegal in some states for other uses, although I am sure they are so used. My son had a trailer with mobile home axles and the wheel rims had been replaced with ones which took regular tires.
Don Young
Yup, those are mobile home wheels, tires and axles. I've had several trailers with those kind of axles. Wheels and tires are easy to come by. Go to a mobile home dealer, one that sells and delivers. They'll have lots of take-offs for cheap. The axles are usually hell-for-stout, 6000# each IIRC. Check the bearings and especially the grease seals. The original ones are plastic and made to keep out rocks and large rodents, not dirt, dust or water. My main objection to these axles are the brakes. They are not designed to be replaced and wear rapidly. With the ones I had, I needed to drill out rivets to remove the shoes then take the shoes to a shop and have them relined, since no one could match them and just do an exchange. A PITA for sure and it left the trailer out of commission for several days. Have fun with your new project. 42