Heat resistance

I'm looking to make some parts to be used inside of my glass kiln.

What type of SS would best withstand temps of 1500F and occasionally as high as 1800F?

My greatest concern is flaking and contaminating the glass.

Thank you.

Reply to
nJb

David Billington

I'll agree on the 310 - it's commonly used for furnace muffles up to around 1800F. Much hotter, and you're into Inconel (Inconel 600?) territory. Atmosphere will also make a big difference in scaling. Keep in mind that at 1800F even 310 will have lost a lot of strength.

You might get away with 316L, which is easily available, at 1500F. I'd do some testing before committing a lot of time or money.

Ned Simmons

Reply to
Ned Simmons

Interesting your comment on 316, my blowing irons have a 310 head at the hot end for the first 6" then 316 tube for the rest of the iron. I have spoken to some blowers that have trouble with scaling, not from the head but from the tube after it which is 304 IIRC in most cases. Some reheating can get that area fairly hot and leads to scaling inside the tube, no fun if you are a glassblower and scale falls into your piece from the iron. Pre blow tapping of the iron to remove it helps alleviate the problem. Hopefully my use of 316 may also reduce it to some extent.

Also agreed that gett>>

Reply to
David Billington

You shoud use 301, XB or Inconel. All of those alloys are used in blast furnaces. 301 and XB are horrible to machine, lots of hard spots and they work harden. Inconel is soft and gummy. All 3 will hold 90% of their strength at room temperature when white hot 3000+ F. Some flaking may occur, but only after many cycles above 3000 F, never at your temps. Steve

Reply to
Steve Lusardi