HF bandsaw problem - blade riding down out of guides

Greetings all,

Patient: Carolina HD-10 horizontal bandsaw , 16tpi wavy-like-hacksaw

93" blade Typical usage: cutting thinwall mild steel tubing with light-to- moderate downfeed pressure Symptoms: all is proceeding normally when suddenly blade starts to attempt to run out under the guides nearest the motor until the weight of the downfeed becomes too great and forces it back up against the top guide bearing nearest the motor with a moderately loud "bang". This cycle repeats roughly 5 times per second. The wear pattern on the backside horizontal bearing nearest the motor shows all the wear is on the bottom edge. The wear pattern on the frontside horizontal bearing nearest the motor shows even wear across the entire bearing face.

Now the only way to keep the spine of the blade against the top guide bearing nearest the motor is to apply full downfeed pressure.

Anyone have this happen to them? And if so how did you fix it? What adjustments did you make to the saw? The positions of the three guide bearings are fixed within the cast-iron guide block.

What to do?

TIA,

Still-learning Steve

Reply to
canoe414

Check the bearings in both the main idler wheel and in the gearbox for the driving wheel. I suspect that you've got some play in there that's sending the blade off the end of the main wheels due to misalignment, and you're only seeing the symptoms of it at the guides. That's my guess, anyway.

Does the blade track correctly with no load?

--Glenn Lyford

Reply to
glyford

Suggest you get a copy of "Band Saw Handbook" by Mark Duginske and read it carefully.

To me, it sounds like it might be time for a blade change. And it sounds like your blade might be too loose.

Did it ever work correctly? Is the saw new? Under warranty?

GWE

Reply to
Grant Erwin

I'm by no means an expert but it seems to me you need a blade with more teeth. You didn't say how thin the tubing wall is but IIRC you generally want about 4 teeth in the metal at one time so a 16tpi blade should be used on 1/4" metal.

In fact, here's a reference that should help. They say your blade "Should have at least 3 teeth and less than 12 teeth in the work piece".

"I'm not grown up enough to be so old!"

Reply to
Keith Marshall

That makes it about impossible to cut 1/16" sheet metal with a bandsaw. ...lew...

Reply to
Lew Hartswick

Yes, but in fact it isn't impossible .. you just feed it in slowly. I don't think it's very good for the bandsaw blade, though. But I do it when I need to, and I generally use 14 tpi blade stock on my vertical.

Grant

Reply to
Grant Erwin

On Fri, 18 Jan 2008 15:41:10 -0700, with neither quill nor qualm, Lew Hartswick quickly quoth:

Angle that puppy, boy.

-- You cannot depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus. -- Mark Twain

Reply to
Larry Jaques