Hooking up a small gearmotor (electrical question)

Bought this vintage gearmotor at an estate sale.

It has four wires: two green wires and two black wires. I suspect that two of these wires need to be connected to a capacitor, either for startup or perhaps permanently (no idea on my part). Any thoughts on how to hook up this gearmotor?

thanks

Ignoramus19961

See if you can talk to an old-timer at Bodine Electric -

Carmine Castiglia InfosystemsPro LLC PalmOS apps for engineers and machinists.

Carmine Castiglia

It's a split phase motor, no capacitor. Connect a black and green together on each side of the line. To reverse, switch the greens to the opposite blacks.

Ned Simmons

Reply to
Ned Simmons

Ned and Carmine, thanks. You are both on target. I just called Bodine and that's exactly what the lady told me -- tie black and blue (she insists they are blue) wires together in two pairs.

Ignoramus19961

But you don't need a spool motor for an AC-TIG?! >8-/

Nick

Reply to
Nick Müller

There is a pdf file here for wiring diagrams that you might find helpful.

Bob AZ

Reply to
Bob AZ

I recently found one just like it at the dump: Bodine, 2 green, 2 black. Mine was a *universal* motor (had brushes). I assumed one pair of wires was for the field and the other for the armature. Wouldn't a universal motor be wired like that?

Mine was a double worm gear, the first worm of which was stripped. That's why the "was's" (past tense).

Bob

Reply to
Bob Engelhardt