How bad is 0-80 to tap in aluminum?

I think I remember that stuff, was formed "wires", IIRC. I've used the regular Castrol machining wax to do the same, just stuff a lump in the drilled hole. Got it for the bandsaw, works for that as well. Aluminum really needs that, you don't want chips welding onto the tap with that small a thread. Have even seen a very old tip using bacon grease for that back in the "olden days"('20s).

And I wouldn't be doing anything that small without some sort of tap guide, I use a very small Starrett dogbone wrench for those dinky taps.

Stan

Reply to
Stanley Schaefer

[ ... ]

[ ... ]

That helps. Sounds like my AEG/Milwauke electric screwdrivers. (I think that Panasonic made them for a while too.)

Hmm ... looks as though the patent on the TapMatic heads has expired. :-) The price is certainly attractive.

Note that in your Subject line, you said 0-80, not 00-xx.

I suspect that it would work well, with one possible exception. The torque limiting clutch might not go down quite low enough. Normal practice with the TapMatic heads is to start with the clutch fully loose, and slowly adjust it with a *brand* *new* tap until it will feed all the way though. Adjust it just a little beyond that point, and when the tap starts to dull, it will slip again -- warning you to change the tap before it breaks off in a workpiece.

As for the 0.140" self feed (this is at single speed, BTW, the higher speed is only when backing it out) -- I have my own preferred way of setting it which does not require measurement. If you pull out on the tap chuck you reach a point where you can rotate it by hand and turn it about 1/6 or 1/4 turn you will reach a point where it will rest on the dog clutch extended. Then adjust the stop on the drill press so it will stop before you run out of threads on the tap (leave a couple spare threads unless you are working with a deep hole). Then tease it to rotate a little and it should snap back to the engaged position to reassure you that you set it while the dog clutch was released.

When using it, if you pause feeding the dog clutch will disengage and start going clack-clack-clack. Feed a bit more and it will start threading down again. When it reaches the stop, you will get the clacks again, and that is the time to let the quill back up slowly (especially slowly with an 0-80 or smaller) to back it out. With something like a 1/4-20 it will back out a lot quicker.

At that price, I would get one, and try it with your #00-96 was that the pitch for a #00?

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

Yes! Don't need to go further than 0, thanks.

0-80 is all I need. I'll get one of the little guys with my next order, thanks, DoN.
Reply to
Spehro Pefhany

Good enough.

[ ... ]

You're welcome. Remember to order some spiral point ("gun") taps to go with it, if you don't already have some. (I actually like them for hand tapping as well, when doing through holes, at least.)

For that matter, if you have enough room behind the workpiece, the combination drill and tap works quite well -- at least in 1/4-20 in

1/2" aluminum and 1/4" steel at least -- the only places I've used it. That 1/2" aluminum was about the maximum thickness for a through-tapped hole in that size with the combo drill/tap.

I need to get and try some other sizes.

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols