How lubricants help in metal cutting

There was an interesting article in R&D Magazine, with a video:
.<http://www.rdmag.com/videos/2015/07/twin-discoveries-eerie-effect-may-
lead-manufacturing-advances?et_cidF99640&et_ridA417408&type=cta>
The mystery was always how the oil got to where it needed to be to affect metal removal - it was hard to see how the oil could penetrate into the solid metal that was soon to be removed. The video shows that the surface is cyclically sheared and ends up in a chip that resembles a stack of dimes, and no penetration into the bulk metal is required to lubricate this process.
Joe Gwinn

Joe, fascinating article (marking ink reduces cutting force needed by half), but oil isn't even mentioned on the page.
--
My desire to be well-informed is currently
at odds with my desire to remain sane. --Sipkess

Yes, that's the point - a solid cannot have penetrated at all, and yet its presence reduced cutting force by one half.
Joe Gwinn

FYI, there's something a little funny about the report. The folds have been known for at least 50 years. Carnegie-Melon Univ. was shooting high-speed movies of their formation then. The internal shape of the displacements, however, probably was not known.
The rest of it is very interesting and somewhat surprising.
--
Ed Huntress

I think that their claim is precisely that they determined the precise shape of the internal displacements. I certainly have not seen videos clearly showing that. One assumes that the academic article will explain all this.
One surprise was that a solid ink film could act as a metalworking lubricant - this show why.
On the linked Purdue website, there was an email address for journalists to request a gratis copy of the underlying article.
Joe Gwinn
OK. So, paint helps with metal removal.
Great.
So you paint the part. Wait until paint dries.
Remove the first layer of metal.
Paint again, watch it dry
Perfect for a union shop, I would say!

Ahh, this is a research trick, not a production process.
No matter what the PR Dept said.
Joe

On Thursday, July 30, 2015 at 8:55:44 AM UTC-4, Joe Gwinn wrote:

Did it say "marking Ink" created a 50% reduction in cutting force?
I hear champagne corks popping at Dykem HQ.
PaulS
On Thursday, July 30, 2015 at 1:53:19 PM UTC-4, PCS wrote:

It would be nice if they said exactly what marking inks they have tried.
The article said that"pre hardening " had the same effect. Can anyone tell me what " pre hardening " is?
Dan

I read that as an allusion to curing by ultraviolet light or an electron beam.
Joe Gwinn

Yes. It seemed to be the kind of ink one uses to permanently mark metal parts, such as those used in airplanes.

It may be premature - drying is slow, as Iggy points out.
Better understanding the cutting process may lead to better cutting lubricants. But the current ones are already pretty good.
Joe Gwinn
Using the 200 micron reference bar and "measuring" from my monitor screen, I figured that their depth of cut was about 1 thou. If so, one has to wonder if real world DOC would have the same effect.
Bob