How to cut very hard cast alloys?

I have a piece of white cast iron:

Composition: 2,5% C and 20% Cr

Hardness: HV 750

Dimensions: 40x40x6 inches

Micro structure: Chromium carbides are dispersed in the material.

How can I cut through 6 inches of this material without heating it above 200-300 =B0C (is spark erosion the only way)? Preferably it has to be economic.

Regards, Lucas Jensen

Reply to
lucasjensen

Chrome iron.... What cut do you want to make? Cuts nice with a good rigid machine and the proper tooling.

John

Reply to
john

I need a rather smooth cut. What machines would you recommend?

L=2E Jensen

john wrote:

Reply to
lucasjensen

Well, do you want to saw it in half, or machine it? Endmilling or facemilling? Turning on a lathe's faceplate? You have given no indication as to what you want to actually do.

I recommend you talk a steel/cast iron supplier about cutting your piece of metal. They (or the metal's manufacturer) typically have machining info.

Regards,

Robin

Reply to
Robin S.