how to keep powdercoat from peeling?

I have a sensor housing that is used for winter plow trucks. I have my fabricator of the housing powder coat it. It seems to have good integrity, but some tests I have been doing with thermo-shock from about 0 degrees F to 170 degrees F have shown some flaking problems. The material is flaking in sheets, like the metal may not have been prepared properly.

Can someone give me a quick prep course so that I can talk intelligently to the powder coat supplyer? What prep questions should I ask? Are there different types of powder coat that may be better for the harsh environments seen by a winter plow truck?

rec.crafts.metalworking

Reply to
Eric Anderson

It is called clean, clean and very clean. The surface must be degreased thoroughly and sand blasted to a oo finish. For longevity there should be no sharp edges. Every edge should be radiused. Steve

Reply to
Steve Lusardi

I'll assume this is a steel housing? In that case you want the steel fabricated. Degrease it with a good solvent. Then for prep you can sandblast it with 100 grit. Once blasted a run through a chromate bath and then coating with a polyester blended powder should do the job.

Powders come in a LOT of formulations. They are not a one size fit's all solution. The proper powder on a properly prepped substrate should last at least 5 years with NO degradation of finish quality. Explain what the problem is and they will likely change the formulation.

We did that a lot at the powder plant I worked at.

Reply to
Steve W.

Reply to
RoyJ