HVLP crash course

I currently have a Sears compressor and paint pot sprayers.
I was wondering how the HVLP systems compare. My main questions are: do
they have the overspray of the paint pots, and do they require a different
I am going to be using this to spray ornamental metal. (square tubing
colloquially called wrought iron)
Other comments and observations appreciated.
Thanks in advance.
Reply to
Loading thread data ...
SteveB wrote:
Reply to
No, not near as much, but still some will get onto unprotected surfaces.
and do they require a different
You have to take that High Volume part seriously. My Sears Buzzbomb is rated about 7 CFM at 90 psi IIRC, and it cannot keep up. That has only been an issue when painting a car
Should be ideal for that. I've been using a $50 HF unit for a couple of years. Recently Sharpe came out with their Finex line. That looks to be the best gun for the money.
Rex B
Reply to
Rex B
I assume you're looking at one of the "HVLP" guns that you hook up to a regular air compressor. If you were looking at a real HVLP outfit like they use for applying wood finishes, you wouldn't be asking about a compressor. Those use a turbine drive, something like a big vacuum cleaner turbine with hoses about the same size as a home vacuum. They're too rich for my bank account, but they do deliver the goods. I've played with them at the woodworking shows, there's not much overspray at all, can be controlled almost like an airbrush. They seemed to handle fairly heavy materials like latex and urethane varnishes.
What I have is one of the HF cheapy conversion-type guns, a 4 cfm compressor can keep up for small areas, say about 8 oz. of thinned material applied. Not quite as much overspray and bounce-back as a regular paint gun but more than a real HVLP unit would have. The pattern can be adjusted easily, so you should be able to do your tubing just fine. You'll still need some sort of spray booth, makeshift or not, plus a respirator. I like the top-feed ones, you'll need the stand that goes with it(and that they sell separately). I've used mine enough that the plastic cup cracked and broke, I replaced it with an aluminum jobbie, a much better deal, the cap doesn't leak. Mine has been used for shellac on wood and for doing automotive touch-up with two-part urethane and clearcoat. I did do the roof of my van with it, it was a stretch, though, for the compressor. The one I have uses generic internal strainers that I can get from the body supply shop relatively cheaply, which surprised me. I think the top-feed units are easier to clean than siphon units, too, just my opinion.
If you're doing it for money, go for the real HVLP outfit(not my money after all!!).
Reply to

PolyTech Forum website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.