I need a welder

Grr, damn flux isn't working on this rusty 1/4x1 1/4" flat bar... (yeah, I know, clean off the rust, so what.) Plus I burn 5-10 minutes of propane each time I try brazing this... I need a welder!!!

This thing looks pretty lame but do you think it would be worth it?

and Dad have a severe aversion to anything over 4 cents..

Tim

-- "That's for the courts to decide." - Homer Simpson Website @

Tim Williams

Mom and Dad have a severe aversion to anything over 4 cents..

One prime directive in life that cannot be ignored: "Ya gotta have the correct tool for the job."

Reply to
lane

I have one of those. It's usable but not really slick. OK with 3/32 6013, probably would be better with 1/16.

Made in Italy for Harbor Freight and sold new in the $59.99-79.99 range. They usually go for $40-60 on eBay. What's your maximum price range? The Century/Sears models with the sliding lever probably would be better, but closer to $80-100.

GTO(John)

Reply to
GTO69RA4

Stick welding isn't hard. Used AC buzzbox welders are often available for $40 or less but still work fine. Pick up some used lead and a stinger and ground clamp and a welding helmet and slag hammer and some rod and you will be "in bidness" as they say in Texas .. and you won't own some consumer POS like is in that URL you posted. - GWE

Reply to
Grant Erwin

Mom and Dad have a severe aversion to anything over 4 cents..

No offense intended in the following message:

NO! You need to learn how to weld. You can do a LOT with just an AC?DC welder that you can buy anywhere used for about $100. From there, you go from there.

An experienced welder can take most anything and make it work. An inexperienced welder can take the best machine out there and mess things up. How do you get experience? By doing.

Go take some courses. It is infinitely cheaper than buying welder after welder. Once in a welding circle of friends, you will probably find many more deals far better than this ebay cheap-O!

Once you learn to weld, buy good machinery because it will last, it will make you money, and you won't outgrow it as your skill, knowledge, and talents increase.

I know this doesn't help you much now when you really want to get going. So, go sign up for some classes, get your feet wet, and be able to make good choices based on your OWN knowledge. Talk to anyone who will listen, and anyone who has a welder.

Save yer dough until you are SURE. You can fry Franklins at an amazing rate when you are starting out.

Steve, who has been welding since 1974. Underwater. Topside. x-ray certified. ex-steel erection contractor. Presently owns welding machines, and welds.

Good luck. Have fun. And remember ............... this is not a test. You WILL make mistakes. Just study in advance, and learn when you do make a booboo. As long as it doesn't cost you a finger, no big deal.

Reply to
SteveB

Chicago electric is one of Harbor Fright's house brands. Might see what it goes for there.

Reply to
Lennie the Lurker

I'll have to see if Blackhawk Tech. has a summer welding class... That wouldn't be bad because the parents would be paying for it, but they would justify it as education (and whatever tax benefits that holds, what Idunno... and not to say I wouldn't mind a proper welding education!) Still doesn't get a welder in my basement though :-p

I'm a quick study, and remember I made something cheezier before -

got some neat looking welds off that, if brittle because the beads became pretty much white cast iron...

Besides that, my friend has taken a highschool welding class, so he can show me the jist of it.

I can certainly understand that.. TIGs starting around $1k for instance...

It's gonna cost an arm and a leg though, at least where I am now... I need a job...

Tim

-- "That's for the courts to decide." - Homer Simpson Website @

Tim Williams

Yes, you do! Everybody needs a welder. A small ac only stick welder would be very useful. It opens up a whole other dimension of "shop".

You say cost is very important, but for the basic stuff it doesn't have to be the best. Stick welders are not sophisticated machines. There are differences, but not like the differences between different MIG or TIG machines.

I'd recommend a 30-120A HF machine. Cheap and free shipping. 220v input option.

People say that you can get used tombstones cheap, but not around here (eastern Mass) - maybe in your area, maybe not. If you buy used and have to replace parts, that can add up (try pricing cable). Or take a long time finding used/bargain parts.

Welding classes can be pretty expensive too. Unless, of course, parents view them as "education" and have different justification. You don't need them to start - there are books to get you started. You're not going to be welding pressure vessels, are you? I do most of my stuff with 6013 rods, horizontal. Pretty easy.

Go for it!

Bob

BTW - 6010 is better for dirty/rusty/painted stock, but even 6013 just welds right through it. Again, it's not pressure vessels.

Reply to
Bob Engelhardt

Maybe you have a few people in the neighborhood that may have an old Lincoln AC buzzbox that's not being used - and you could trade some labor for it??? Ken.

Reply to
Ken Sterling

I'd look for a used Miller or Lincoln first. I bought one of their MIGs. It works OK now, except for the transformer toasting in the high range when running more then 4 or 5 inches of bead, but I rebuilt everything except for the transformer and range switch.

Look for duty cycle as well. Cheap stuff has a low duty cycle and it gets pretty frustrating to weld 1 minute out of ten. I'm looking for a Millermatic to replace that thing. Nice paint, though.

Look hard and check out the welding supply stores in your area. Sometimes they'll hear about used equipment going cheap. Older equipment is often cheap and is massively overbuilt. I got a Miller Tig for $300 (that's about 30 cents a pound) that will run 250A all day without breaking a sweat.

Reply to
Paul Amaranth