Torsion Bar

What are torsion bars typically made of? I was going to guess 5160 or 8136 (or whatever that 8100 number is) but a quick Google shows more hits for

4340 than either..?

I suppose that makes more sense than 5160 since that's a water-hardening alloy, no? Could be hard to evenly harden a 1"+ dia. bar...

In case you're wondering, I want to anneal some of a scrap bar I have, chop off sections and forge it into stuff.

Tim

-- "That's for the courts to decide." - Homer Simpson Website @

Tim Williams

No takers? Did I forget my deoderant? ;o)

Tim

-- "That's for the courts to decide." - Homer Simpson Website @

Tim Williams

I think most of us just decided not to demonstrate our ignorance. You might have better luck over on rec.autos.tech.

Gary

Reply to
Gary Coffman