STEVE MCQUEEN SOUTH BEND

I just got a 9X 20 South Bend that was part of the estate of the late Steve McQueen. The unit is pretty complete and has a pivoting motor mount for a flat belt drive and a 3 sheave drive using a flat belt from the jack shaft to the spindle. Someone has added a regular sheave to the other end of the jackshaft to use a regular motor drive. Model number is B 9 W. I am not into restoring etc, so would sell this unit to someone who like these old South Bends and one that has some interesting history.

Reply to
turnitdown

If you want to sell it then you should state where you are and how much you want for it. That lathe is real short and doesn't have quickchange although it does have X and Y powerfeeds. It is going to be worth a lot less if you don't have the set of 17 change gears that go with it!

I would suggest a starting price of about $600 depending on where you are.

Grant Erw> I just got a 9X 20 South Bend that was part of the estate of the late Steve

Reply to
Grant Erwin

Thanks for the response- actually this machine has a quick change gearbox on it as well as a gear to reverse the spindle and a lock for the spindle to remove the chuck ( has 2- 3 jaw chucks) It also has those spring loaded oil cups on all the moving parts. The belt adjustment is by a lever with an over-center rod. It is sitting on a nicely made but vintage wood bench-

Reply to
turnitdown

Like grant said you are missing the vitals here.

How much?

Where is it?

If you are trying to get some idea of how much you can sell it for, a) look at completed items on ebay and b) put it for sale there, with some kind of documentation to demonstrate it's heritage.

Jim

jim rozen

My guess is that if a South Bend 9 goes for $800; then one owned by the late Steve McQueen is pretty much worth... $800?

Now his toaster... THAT would bring serious money.

Come on, anyone interested in machines is only concerned about condition, can they put it someplace, can they transport it, can they sneak it past SWMBO, how much and oh yeah, what can I do with it. Pretty much in that order. Provenance is thought to be a misspelling of a Canadian political subdivision or town in Rhode Island.

Reply to
?

Reply to
Paul Albright

My guess is that if a South Bend 9 goes for $800; then one owned by the late Steve McQueen is pretty much worth ... $800?

Incredible that anyone would pay $800 for a SB 9 when, with care and a little luck, one can get a 12.5 x 20 Monarch 10EE for the same price.

Reply to
Peter H.

Where do you live? I've never seen a 10EE go that low. I've seen a few that I thought were completely clapped out go for more.

Cheers, Stan

Reply to
Stan Stocker

A 12.5x20" 10EE is a lot more machine than a SB9. Lots of guys only have a bit of bench space, and what they want is a SB9. There are home shops and there are home shops. After all, the 9" South Bend lathe has been king of the home shop in the USA for nearly 100 years now. You can get most parts quite inexpensively (at least when compared to Monarch parts). For example, I bought a brand new SB 9" telescoping-style follower rest for about $120 before South Bend went under. I also own a 15x30" Cincinnati Hydrashift. You don't even want to KNOW how much Cincinnati wants for a follower rest.

I'd *love* to own a 10EE. But I really like my little SB9, and so do many South Bend owners.

*That's* why they still command good prices.

Grant Erwin

Reply to
Grant Erwin

I wouldn't mind having a Monarch lathe in good shape at that price, but suspect that the cost of getting it to our townhome and then rigging it into the basement would run quite a bit more than $800. For others in a similar situation, the smaller lathes are the only practical option.

Reply to
Mike Henry