Replacement flat belt for South Bend?

Hello all:

I have a 14x40 SB with the old flat belt. The belt just busted (I think that's the correct technical term). Am wondering if anyone has tried the "Polyurethane Flat Belt" number 6075K17 from McMaster-Carr. It sounds nice; easy to heat-weld, claims it's suitable for "medium-torque power transmission".

Thanks for any advice, especially advice based on firsthand experience.

Best regards, Terry "P'rfesser" McCreary

Terry McCreary

It does sound nice. What is not nice is the $365 for the splice kit. Although an HSM'er could probably get by with just the $70 heat knife. Anybody rig their own splicer? Something to just make-do for a one-off?

Bob

Reply to
Bob Engelhardt

I haven't used a flat belt, but I make up my own belts for my Unimat and they work well.

The belting is bout 1/4" dia and I usually just use a solder gun with a flat tip (so I can get even heat on both ends of the material I am about to join).

Other than allowing for even heating, the only thing you want to watch for is NOT to burn the stuff. Like don't touch the material to a solder gun that's maybe 400 deg.

DOC

Reply to
DOC

I have been using a timing belt removed from my 1977 volvo for over 15 years now as the belt on my old 9 inch South Bend. I turned the belt upside down (cog teeth pointing away from the flat belt pullies). I had to take the spindle apart to install the belt. I don't remember this being difficult to do. The belt has no stretch, and has a good grip. The three steps on the South Bend pulley set are not exactly the same overall circumference, so I have to diddle with the belt tension a bit when I change speeds (because the Volvo belt is not stretchy enough to adapt to the difference), to get the toggle lever to tighten the belt up correctly. I have wanted to put a stiff spring in the toggle mechanism for at least 14 of the 15 years I have used the belt, but it has never been on my priority list.

Brownnsharp

Reply to
brownnsharp

Many thanks to those of you who replied to my message. It turns out that a friend of mine works as a secretary in a machine shop and she indicated that she could get me some leather belting ("free" is usually better...). If she doesn't come through, I will order the polyurethane belting from McMaster Carr and devise my own heat knife for splicing. I'm sure that a soldering iron with temperature controller on it will do the job.

Thanks again! Terry "P'rfesser" McCreary

Terry McCreary

PLease let us know if you try it and how it works out. Bob

Reply to
Bob Engelhardt