I need some shaft coupling ideas

Folks, I am wanting to couple a square shaft (~.310inches) to a pulley of ~

2 to 4 inches in diameter with ~ .500 or .625 hole for the drive of this pulley.

In other words, I need to go from a square shaft to a pulley.

If I can't do that, I guess that I will have to butt the shaft up to a motor whereby the motor's shaft will be round.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

jb

Reply to
justme

Reis Supply has square holed sleeves.

Roger

Reply to
Roger Jones

Rober

How about REID Supply?

Bob AZ

Reply to
Bob AZ

Wes

Reply to
Wes

Buy a square hole clamp collar and screw it to the face of your pulley. Turn a pilot on the collar to match the ID of the pulley if concentricity is critical.

McMaster stocks the collars:

3325K12 Steel Square-Bore Two-Piece Clamp-on Collar 5/16" Bore, 1-1/16" Outside Diameter, 5/16" Width In stock at $13.13 Each
Reply to
Ned Simmons

Broached adapters are available from Browning, Martin, Gates etc

Gunner

Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical liberal minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

Reply to
Gunner Asch

A two-piece split adapter should be easy to make. Set the stock at a

45 degree angle to mill the vee grooves, cut down the mating surfaces until they almost meet, drill and tap for two clamp screws, then assemble it on the square stock to turn the round pulley mount and a flange to keep it square. You could make the flange large enough for screws to fasten the adapter to the pulley.

If the blanks aren't exactly at 45 degrees when you mill them both, turn one piece around and it will fit.

I made a wrench for rusted brake line fittings this way except that the groove is half a hexagon. The corners don't have to be perfect on a wrench like this because it won't be used unless a flare nut wrench has already mangled the fitting.

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

Thanks, guys. These are all excellent ideas.

However, due to time and my mill being down from a move, I will order some from Reid.

This group always 'comes through'.

j/b

Reply to
justme