ideas for rapid fire golf ball launcher

Somebody gave me about a hundred pounds of golf balls. They are just sitting in a bag out in the back yard. Since I suck at goll and most other sports it got me to thinking that I may be able to launch these things in some other way than whacking them with a 3 wood (which for some reason I have at least 4 of). So, the question is.. how should I craft a machine to fling these things in a rapid fire fashion very fast and very far? Compressed air might work, spinning wheels a la tennis ball practice machine? gunpowder is not even an option (too loud). Any better Ideas?

Reply to
daniel peterman

Compressed air.

I built a gun I use for paintball that uses CO2 at around 800 psi. You could make that fire very hard if you wanted. And, your not bound by an extension cord.

Reply to
Dave Lyon

Scale up an auto-cocker paintball gun mechanism for a hopper fed golfball gun. Use compressed air, you'd chew through CO2 bottles at an insane rate.

-->--

Reply to
Bruce L. Bergman

Take a look at one of these--

Look might usefull to me, taming the squirrels robbing the bird feeder, neighbors cat in the flower bed. Use your imagination.. Looks to be an afternoon project for a HSM type. Anyone have a good blank load for a 223?

DE

Reply to
DE

One pitching machine design uses a rotating arm that picks up balls at the bottom of the rotation, winds up a big coil spring as it turns, then the spring releases and the arm flies around, flinging the ball tangential to the rotation. It can only throw one every few seconds at normal rate, but it could be sped up and/or multiple arms used.

Another design uses rotating urethane flywheels that contact the outer skin of the ball.

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Reply to
Spehro Pefhany

While active military and being bored a loong time ago we used to use the co2 fire extinguishers to propell nails and bb's. WE eventually used apiece of pipe and some fittings to propell golf balls. We would unscrew the horn on the extinguisher, and put the "barrel" on it, aim it and then just a quick bump down on the extinguishers handle sent a high pressure charge of CO2 into the barrel and out went the golf ball. On a decent charge it was able to drive nails through 1/2 inch plywood, and when we shot gold balls up against a brick wall actually split some covers on the golf balls......

On Mon, 5 Dec 2005 21:21:12 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (daniel peterman) wrote: Somebody gave me about a hundred pounds of golf balls. They are just sitting in a bag out in the back yard. Since I suck at goll and most other sports it got me to thinking that I may be able to launch these things in some other way than whacking them with a 3 wood (which for some reason I have at least 4 of). So, the question is.. how should I craft a machine to fling these things in a rapid fire fashion very fast and very far? Compressed air might work, spinning wheels a la tennis ball practice machine? gunpowder is not even an option (too loud). Any better Ideas?

Reply to
~Roy

Those long par 5s will be a piece of cake with one of those on the old FAL. jd

Reply to
jd