Interpreting a Lathe Manual Written by Long Duck Dong

Are we really on our own when it comes to deciphering manuals written in english by one of our overseas brothers? I've got a new Birmingham

1440 and the manual is little more than a comic book.
Reply to
JoeMorgan

My suggestion would be to look over the offerings at other importers for machines that look similar, then read their manuals.

I know these two both list manuals for most of their products:

They've also gotten very good about using something much closer to real English. Since these are for the American market, you may have to adjust rpm's for the difference between 50 and

60hz motors.

HTH --Glenn Lyford

Reply to
glyford

The manual for my lathe was so bad it was funny. Took me quite a while to figure out the "jockey" they kept referring to was the lathe operator. I had mental images of slapping a saddle over the toolpost and flogging it to the winning post at Flemington. The local agents that I bought it from had added a "safety " section in an "cover my arse " exercise, but the rest of it was pretty much incomprehensible. I emailed them and offered to translate it into proper English for them ,but I guess they couldn't understand my language as I never received a reply.

Tom

Reply to
Tom Miller