new training manuals writen by Dassault ...

I recently inquired my VAR on extended training that was available for SWx add-ins. They told me that they do not have anything available for
what i was requesting. Then they mentioned to me that they had a book to assist in the extended training and that they would send me a copy of a couple of these. I told them that I would look at these manuals when they came in. Guess what they were written by Dassault. So far I have received one on Animator, PhotoWorks and on Utilities. This was a surprise to me that there was even manuals like this even existed. Why do we not hear of these items!!!
Each manual is accompanied with a CD full of training information that comes with the book.
It seems that my VAR is withholding items that could help us in our endeavors to be professionals in this software, why is this???
Well anyway contact your VAR for these secret manuals. They are a step by step guide. And if anyone can get a full listing of what is available please post it to this group. I can only get 3 titles from my VAR so far.
I am getting to wonder if SWx VAR's understands our needs. MRW
IQ,
These are brand new materials, they have not existed before in this form. They're not secret. These are meant to be used without an instructor. The books they had before they wouldn't sell without you coming to a class.
As far as I know, the ones you received are the only ones available at this time.
Matt

iQ,
These books became available a few weeks ago. I got my copies two weeks ago.
I know SW VAR's have trouble getting enough users to sign up for PhotoWorks and Animator classes to make them financially viable.
SolidWorks listened, and produced these very nice learning tools.
I don't think your VAR wasn't "holding out", just hasn't had enough time to educate their user base.
By the way, there is a cost associated with these books. Your VAR just gave you about $100.00 worth of books for free! Color printing isn't cheap.
I wouldn't expect "self-study" guides for the entire product line. Instructor led training is still the best way to learn the wide range of capabilities that SolidWorks provides.
CG

Self teaching is a nice touch. Even a week's training in something like SW fundamentals is usually too short unless the trainees are really quick learners. ACAD users need two weeks and a baseball bat.

Could it be that hard copies were printed because they were intended for a classroom setting? The cost effective way to distribute info is make it available on the company's web site, maybe free access for maint contract holders if not for everyone?

That wouldn't be a reseller trying to manufacture a market, would it? 8~)
=====================================
Jeff,
No, these books were never intended to be used in a classroom setting. The format of these books was developed for use without the aid of an instructor.
If SolidWorks distributed them in electronic format, someone would complain about the lack of printed materials. The end user cost to print 646 high resolution color pages (PW84+ CP2+ AN0) on high quality stock (>30#) would also be quite high.
Regarding your comment about SolidWorks VAR's, a quality VAR provides excellent training. The SolidWorks training materials are superb. Staffing and lab costs are significant. SolidWorks establishes specific criteria to maintain the quality of their reseller training programs (only certified instructors, limited class size, re-certification for new releases, etc.)
What is your complaint?
CG

Ok great, and I agree that the books do not need an instructor, then why wont anyone sell me the books? and only the books I dont want to pay 500+ dollars for a book. I will pay for the end user cost to print 646 high resolution color pages (PW84+ CP2+ AN0) on high quality stock (>30#) But I am told I cannot purchase the books unless I take the course?
Sell me your fancy smancy books dammit!
Ben

contract
8~)
I was going to stay out of this, but I agree; if the books are written for self-instruction, and not classroom materials, then they should be available to us to buy. Not quite sure of the motivation here (other than to get buy-in to classes)...
MT

I think there's a misunderstanding. The new Photoworks, Utilities and Animator books are meant to be self-paced instruction, and are available for sale without a class, at maybe $50 for the Pworks book. Don't quote me on that, I don't sell the books. They're still new, so someone at the reseller may not know what's going on and is giving you the standard party line on selling training books.
The regular SW training books are the ones that come only with the class. They don't have regular Pworks, Utilities and Animator classes anymore. You can't get any of the books in electronic format for obvious copyright reasons.

No complaint. Nor was there a "comment about SolidWorks VAR's".
Just some casual questions from a disinterested observer (which were not addressed in any meaningful way, IMO). I've got a few more if you wanna hear 'em. For my part, though, I think your customers should ask their own questions. 8~)
1)I dont see there being any benifit by draging a VAR into this. It is not their fault SW wont let them sell the books without the person taking the course
2)The complaint is I want to buy the books without the course.

own
Ben & Others,
I'm sorry if I caused confusion.
There are three new "self-study" books that SolidWorks recently released. These are available for purchase without attending formal instructor led training.
These books cover, PhotoWorks, Animator and CAD Productivity Tools (FeatureWorks, SolidWorks Utilities and Toolbox).
Contact your SolidWorks VAR for more information, or to order your copies.
The other training materials that SolidWorks develops are only available for students that attend formal training. This policy is set by SolidWorks.
Just to set the record straight, Jeff when you stated "That wouldn't be a reseller trying to manufacture a market, would it? 8~)", I intepreted that as a disparaging comment about SolidWorks VAR's. Was I wrong?
CG

Yes you were. Control of information is a means of manufacturing a market. Whether or not the information is made available freely, for the cost of a maintenance contract, for sale as a discrete item, as part of a class, ..., etc. are all marketing concerns. I have no intrinsic problem with any of that.
If I have a problem with anything, it's the lack of honesty; a sales rep posing as a user (?) telling people that "Instructor led training is still the best way to learn ...". Maybe it is, maybe it isn't. Let the real users decide for themselves what's "best" for them.
Jeff,
When did I state my profession?
My opinion is the instructor led training is the best method to learn SolidWorks. Sorry if that causes you heartburn.
CG

market.
any
It's funny how fixated we can get on the way we commonly do things.
I think that a self tought person is ofen very effective,
However, it has been great for me to sit with an expert from time to time. You do get out of your old fixations and see how other people do things. Most training is a good mix between self-discovery and being shown.
Both help us get there.
Later,
SMA

I believe one (the guy wearing the mask if you are wondering) willingly stepped in and threw up a bit of chaff. If you have no problem with that then I certainly don't.
Jeff,
Where is the chaff?
iQ asked about the new books. He felt as if his VAR was "withholding information". I don't think that is the case. Just not up to speed on a recent product introduction. I just attempted to set the record straight.
Sorry you find VAR's so offensive.
CG

John,
SHUT UP!!!!! No one cares what you think

Hi iQ,
Thanks for Info. I also request Dassault system for the manuals. Is they charge for that?
regards
vijayan
You know, I understand that classroom time is important for some but seriously there are differing learning styles out there and I am one that does poorly in classrooms. Corespondance or books work great for me. So not allowing me to purchase the books becasue you need the class for the gerneral populous to learn is crap to me and nouthign but a money grab. Hey Solidworks how about you sell me the books and make some money from me and not loose out on the opportunity to make a quick buck? Otherwise I will sit here be bitter, and bitch.
Ok I am over it now....Not really but I feel better that I have vented. :)
Anyone want to sell me their training manuals? Seeing as SW wont take my money.
Ben