Is this compressor worth anything?

Well, yah.

Simple Green or equivalent would be much safer.

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

With Ig, there's -always- an embarrassing number of them. He found his niche, I tell ya. I want to be adopted!

-- Happiness is not a station you arrive at, but a manner of traveling. -- Margaret Lee Runbeck

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Thank her for the great compliment, then rush her to the optometrist!

-- Progress is the product of human agency. Things get better because we make them better. Things go wrong when we get too comfortable, when we fail to take risks or seize opportunities. -- Susan Rice

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Hey Iggy, you should write a book for those of us that always 'buy high, then throw away'. :)

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

:)

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

Over a winter, I will spill more filling my snow blower than I used to clean that compressor. Which would you rather see spilled, gasoline or paint thinner? besides, whatever is left goes into the used oil jug, then to the hazardous waste facility along with the contents of juniors bike which hadn't run in ten years. Gerry :-)} London, Canada

Reply to
Gerald Miller

Dayum, man. Get a good gas can and learn to use it. Mother Earth and your neighbors, family, and self will thank you for it.

Tape a flashlight to the nozzle if you're missing the hole. ;)

-- Progress is the product of human agency. Things get better because we make them better. Things go wrong when we get too comfortable, when we fail to take risks or seize opportunities. -- Susan Rice

Reply to
Larry Jaques

So, THAT's why you carry a flashlight to the bathroom at night! :)

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

I wasn't commenting wrt waste/spillage/world economic or ecological collapse.. but gasoline is a dangerous cleaning solvent.. and there isn't a practical reason for using it to clean parts.

The possibility of giving readers the impression that gasoline can be used casually for other purposes is irresponsible.. and wouldn't imply that you were being thrifty or clever.

Reply to
Wild_Bill

Any light petroleum product can be used to dissolve a heavier residue, what you use, depends on what is readily available when you need it. Gerry :-)} London, Canada

Reply to
Gerald Miller

What's more dangerous with gasoline vs other petroleum solvents? All are flammable, some have lower vapor pressure but will still burn.

Get off your high horse.

technomaNge

Reply to
technomaNge

I use gasoline outdoors, in small quantities, like 1/2 pint.

The problem with gasoline is that it produces a lot of vapors, unlike some heavier solvents. Parts washing solvent, for example, produces a comparably negligible amount of vapors.

Ignoramus10577

My horse isn't high, he stopped hanging around with Lindsay over a year ago..

Reply to
Wild_Bill

Update:

When I bought it I made sure that it got plugged in and came up to pressure. What I _didn't_ do was bleed off some air and make sure it started again -- which it doesn't. It tries, but the thing don't turn. I thought "this thing needs a blow-down". Then I heard the slow leak from the compressor head, deduced the existence of a check valve, and found the check valve. Presumably it just needs to be 're-checked'.

Oh well.

Reply to
Tim Wescott

If it runs and pumps, the rest is fixable.

(If it did not run, it could be fixable also, just not a given) i

Reply to
Ignoramus12217

Yup. It looks like the check valve is even made to be maintained, so I may be able to fix it without either total disassembly or buying replacement parts -- this is a good thing, because the compressor purchase has inspired purchase of spray guns, hoses, etc. -- I just need a regulator and to clean up the nice used guns I bought, and I'm ready to paint.

Reply to
Tim Wescott

I do not think that it is the check valve that is the culprit.

Ignoramus12217

Unloader stuck?

Reply to
Pete Keillor

It's a cheap little compressor, so I'm pretty sure that the "unloader" is an intentional leak in the compressor head and the check valve.

I respectfully disagree with Iggy, but if the check valve is doing it's job I may well come to agree with him.

Reply to
Tim Wescott

On disassembly, the check valve revealed a nice little spring, a nicely polished seat where the ball goes -- and no ball.

Methinks it's the check valve...

Reply to
Tim Wescott