Jet 1340 bench lathe

Hi Anyone have any experience with Jet lathes, particularly the 1340 belt drive bench lathe? Any information or help would be appreciated. Thanks Travis

Reply to
Travis Mahone

Ron Coffey

Well I have the geared head and its perfectly fine for most uses. My friend has the belt drive and he also like his. His is about 10 years old, and the only problems he had was a oil leak at the spindle. Seems like JET does not stock any parts to fix this lathe anymore, so it took a bit of make do to finally get his lathes oil leak stopped with hunting down aftermarket stuff to fit. The only drawback is changing the drive belts on the spindle is a real pain when they need replacing.

-- Visit my website:

foundry and general metal working and lots of related projects. Regards Roy aka Chipmaker // Foxeye Opinions are strictly those of my wife....I have had no input whatsoever. Remove capital A from chipmAkr for correct email address

Reply to
Roy

I have the 13x36 belt drive (Taiwan) purchased in 1988. It has been a good machine and has required minimal maint. I have replaced an oil seal in the carriage gear box and the carriage way wipers. Spindle belt was replaced with a Fenner Power-Twist link belt so I have never had the head stock apart. That's about it.

Randy

Reply to
Randal O'Brian

I have heard that, but I don't know if it is true across the entire line.

Reply to
Randal O'Brian

The one I have is 1992 and it was made in Tiawan.

in

Reply to
Ron Coffey