Lathe: Gripping ID instead of OD ?

Hello. Looking for a round device that one end can acccurately grip (via expanding fingers?) a 1/2" round ID of a steel "puck", so the whole outer surface of the puck can be sanded/polished. The other end I can chuck into a lathe. Is there anything off-the-shelf available ?

Thank you. Marcel

Reply to
dragonbreed

look under "expanding mandrel"

Reply to
Jon

I have a set of KO lee expanding mandrels for sale right now.

Ignoramus3962

Dio you have a lathe? If so, make a tapered mandrel to slide the part on to.

Reply to
Dan

I've done this a few times and have just made my own mandrel. Chuck some material, machine a spigot to locate the part and face a shoulder for the part to go against, tap for a suitable countersunk screw, then make two slits at 90 degrees to allow the countersunk screw to expand it. Easy to do on a lathe and bandsaw or hacksaw. If more info required I can post a picture tomorow.

Reply to
David Billington

Ned Simmons

This chuck will expand in a blind hole:

delivered the jaw OD is about 0.59" but on mine they are soft enough to file so you should be able to turn them down to fit your part. The arbor mounting thread is M12-1.0. Jim Wilkins

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

Nice idea for a small mandrels, I've always done the same technique using a pipe plug. (npt)

Thank You, Randy

Remove 333 from email address to reply.

Reply to
Randy