Vacuum hose attachment directly to lathe spindle (sherline)

Unusual idea I have: I have a 4100 sherline lathe with a hollow spindle (factory). Threaded directly to the spindle is a fixture which accomodates a 1.5" steel "puck" with a hole in the middle. Using a round polishing stone on the tailstock I grind away a welded seam at the very edge of the hole, effectively creating a nice radii which gets polished out later.

Problem is that I am getting fragments from the puck and stone into the hole (ID) and I cannot have that. Since the fixture and spindle shaft have a centre thru-hole, I was thinking of applying a vacuum source to the end of the spindle shaft (again, the entire spindle is hollow). This will effectively suck out any fragments.

Obviously I would have to stick a non-rotating hose to the rotating spindle shaft, but what adapter to use? Is there something readily available?

thanks you in advance. Marcel

Reply to
dragonbreed

All lathes have that problem. Just wad up a paper towel or shop rag and stuff in hole. Then vacuum out the fragments when you are through.

Paul

Reply to
co_farmer

" snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net" fired this volley in news:ebe0fa81-e4b5-4cb7-acaa- snipped-for-privacy@g39g2000pri.googlegroups.com:

A "special adater" perfectly suited to that use exists inside a couple of blocks of metal (see metal dealer for the specific model). You'll need a lathe to remove the metal hiding them from view, and to free them up for use.

Oh... you HAVE a lathe!

LLoyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

wrote: (clip) but what adapter to use? Is there something readily

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ This is done all the time on wood lathes. You can mount a sealed ball bearing on the end of your spindle, and hook your hose to that. The simplest idea to try would be a snap fitting. It may wear out after a while, but they are cheap.

Reply to
Leo Lichtman

I don't know why you couldn't just have a slip-fit. Attach the hose to your change-gear cover. You could possible add a lip seal around the spindle if you have a perpendicular surface around the spindle hole. Should have plenty of suction to allow some leakage around the edges.

90% will still flow through the spindle
Reply to
RB

Good Afternoon Marcel (at least it's afternoon in my part of the world )

I also have a Sherline and have had similar problems with 'stuff' getting into the spindle thru the center holes in the 3 and 4 jaw chucks. Doesn't seem to hurt anything but makes cleaning the spindle taper prior to using a tapered center a _must_. I made the cleaning a bit easier by putting a small piece of foam packing in the spindle in the taper end. It keeps most of the junk in the center hole of the chuck. If you can live with 'stuff' in the center hole of your fixture, just plugging the spindle hole might be a quick/easy fix. Best of luck. Bob rgentry at oz dot net

Reply to
Bob Gentry

if you were to browse over to my web page, wbnoble.com, and click on vacuum pumps/chucks, or the wood turning club web page that I manage,

and go to tips, you will find an article i wrote on vac chucks that includes how to make such a setup along with lots more data on this type of application than anyone in his/her right mind would actually need.

Reply to
Bill Noble