Lathe test bar

Ivan,

Do you know anything about his machines? Make, model #? I'm assuming they'll be sold.

Harold

Reply to
Harold and Susan Vordos

Louis Ohland

It's Thomson, but that's a tradename. Look on McM pp. 1016-1017

Ned Simmons

Reply to
news

Hardened Precision Shafts

" Inch Sizes? Choose from AISI 1566 steel, chrome-plated AISI 1566 steel, and Type 440C stainless steel. Straightness tolerance is 0.002" per foot."

Perhaps I've not found the correct series.

Ned Simm> >

Reply to
Louis Ohland

Getting closer:

Machinable End Shafts Shafts come with 2" of each end already annealed (softened), so machining is a snap. Ideal for linear bearings, slides, and other precision applications.

Possibly page 1018.

Louis Ohland wrote:

Reply to
Louis Ohland

I didn't notice that McMaster's spec is looser than Thomson brand, though I'd bet that the straightness is typically better in the larger sizes.

It appears that Thomson may have loosened their straightness tolerance as well, which may explain McM's spec. My old print catalog says better than .001" per foot, this doc says .001/.002 per foot, but no explanation as to when the looser number applies. I'm guessing for smaller diameters.

I just checked a 24" length of 1-1/2" dia with feeler gages on the surface plate and it seems to be better than .001" over its length.

Ned Simmons

Reply to
news

From The Home Shop Machinist, Bonus Issue, 2007, page 40

RR 1 Box 108, Carrollton, IL 62061 Business 217-942-9296 Cell 618-946-0793

Bob rgentry at oz dot net

Reply to
Bob Gentry

That would be Miller Machine and Fabrication (217) 942 9296 snipped-for-privacy@verison.net

I have no experience with this vendor.

Jay Cups

snipped-for-privacy@prolynx.com wrote:

Reply to
JayCups

According to Louis Ohland :

Just out of curiosity, what is that sequence after "Inch Sizes" supposed to be? On my reading screen it shows up as a lower-case 'a' with a '^' over the top, followed by a '^', a 'T' and another '^', but in my editor (during a reply), it shows as again the 'a' with a '^' over it, followed by \200\224. It is obviously some kind of extended ASCII which shows differently on different systems, and I thought that you should know that not everyone sees it the same. :-)

What system are you posting it on?

Thanks, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

I think Character set UTF-8 is the key to getting it decoded/displayed properly (shrug).

Reply to
Leon Fisk

[ ... ]

Thanks!

And it is rather difficult for me to change characterset encoding once I have the newsreader started.

But I like to read (and post) in plain ASCII, so I can be sure that anyone's reader will see the same thing.

Thanks again, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols