Making lava at home

My 7 year old wants to make lava. I have a small forge that can go up to approximately 1,800F. So, my thinking went, I could put some easy to melt rocks into a ladle and melt them, that would become lava.

It would be an educational backyard fun, as long as no one sticks fingers into anything hot.

The question is what rocks would be a easy source for making lava.

My first thought would be to go to Home Depot and buy some lava stone that they use for landscaping, but I am not sure if it will melt at my forge temperature.

I need roughly one pound of that stuff. I also want something that does not have air or water trapped in it that would be prone to any sort of explosions.

Any ideas?

Ignoramus23032

Use glass.

Regards,

Boris Mohar

void _-void-_ in the obvious place

Reply to
Boris Mohar

Silica sand, glass.

Reply to
Tim

I have some black glass grit for blast cabinet, this would seem to be the safest route to take. Thanks a lot.

Ignoramus23032

Iggy,

I assume that after you melt it you want to pour it over something so it can flow downhill and cool into lumps and rocks? With glass I'm afraid that you will get all kinds of internal strains and the lumps will be very prone to shattering. You definitely don't want glass fragments flying around. How about using table salt instead?

----- Regards, Carl Ijames

Reply to
Carl Ijames

Iggy. All the rocks you will find in your area contain water that will turn to steam and explode when heated rapidly. Please use some of the actual lava rocks you wrote about and first heat them for an hour or more in a hot oven to drive the moisture out. May need to do this several times. Your local rocks are basalt and will take forever to get the water out. Exploding rocks are not funny! They are very dangerous.

Your 1800 degree forge will just get the rocks red. The will not melt. A quick Google search shows lava temperatures of 2200 degrees F.

I think the glass suggestion will be a better choice.

Paul

Reply to
co_farmer

Salt is even better, melting point only 1480F or so. I like it.

Ignoramus23032

I do not know for sure, but I would try to find some slag at a dump for a blast furnace.

Bill

Reply to
Salmon Egg

The other - broken pyrex glass. That is high temp glass and resists stressing. It might work.

I have t> Iggy,

Reply to
Martin H. Eastburn

That slag is also sold at Home Depot as some fancy shmancy "landscaping" rock. I like it a lot. I think that I will buy a bag of that stuff, as I could use it for anything I want. Then I will put a couple of lbs in a grill for 1-2 hours, and I will be good to go. It is more lava like than salt.

Ignoramus23032

Is that real lava rock or slag? (both should work well)

Ignoramus23032

|x?}TKOÜ0¾çW?^V)]}?(HU? ­ô??ìIâ®í ~ì??ÓR ûðÆóù{y7¯v?=AdG?!Áø©!Gã{¸È6z-/à? %²$#???¦9¸??7½ç?.ÇõÑáÑzþ l:6?g_¿]}?¿lë¢5~?Öè?^öî'ãÁQ?Ø4?öñÃÅûµözÐJ]?¯??õ??»I?ïg½é±ìl»¶m?sZñ.'x a¶öèESbp¸%°¸Ã60 èG?­?????L Dk??×æô¢Lã(þ

Reply to
Bill Noble

That's borosilicate glass----melts at a much higher temperature than 1800F.

Harold

Reply to
Harold and Susan Vordos

Do you have a temperature controller on the furnace, if so then you could pour the glass over something then let it cool and place it back in the furnace to anneal. The glass pieces I blow are placed in a lehr and held at about 500C until the blowing day is finished then the lehr slowly brought down to room temperature overnight to prevent stress being built up in the glass. IIRC above the strain point, about 500C for the glass I use, you cannot induce permanent stress in the glass. Below that point you need to cool the piece slowly enough that damaging thermal stresses aren't created. The thicker the glass the longer the cooling cycle.

Reply to
David Billington

Does it have to be high temperature rock? Why not use sulfur? It melts at 113 deg C. It comes from volcanoes. It is flammable and has some interesting properties. You can or could buy it at the drugstore by the pound.

kfvorwerk

Sodium carbonate is washing soda Na2CO3, baking soda is the similar bicarbonate NaHCO3.

jsw

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

Try sulfur. Melts at 113deg C.

kfvorwerk

RCM only

On Tue, 28 Apr 2009 23:21:27 -0500, the infamous Ignoramus23032 scrawled the following:

Ig, when I was your kid's age, we got the little black pellets on the

4th of July. I think they were called "worms" or something. Anywho, you'd light the top and they'd glow red, sulfury-smoke a lot, and foamy slag would form on top which wormed its way out and down. If you could find those, I'm sure he'd be happy and they're MUCH safer. Kids'll be kids, and the thought of what would happen when a rock got thrown into a pool of real lava gives me the creeps.

Just a thought.

------------------------------------------------------ No matter how hard you try, you cannot baptize a cat. ----------------------------

Reply to
Larry Jaques

You can get a eutectic mixture of sodium and potassium salts that has a melting temperature around 1200 or 1300 deg.F. IIRC.

This stuff is available commercially for salt bath heat treatment furnaces.

When red hot this salt becomes conductive and may be heated further by passing a current through it.

Wolfgang

Reply to
wfhabicher

That novelty thing is exactly what I was thinking of, and it hasn't been too many years since I last saw them.

Reply to
Wild_Bill