Markings on "owner" gas cylinders

What markings identify an "exchangeable" welding gas cylinder? I'm shopping casually for a used oxy-acetylene rig and am having
trouble determining what my local Airgas dealer will exchange.
Decades ago I had an O/A rig with owner cylinders, but all my exchanges were at the same vendor (VB Anderson, if it matters) so there was never an issue. I don't even remember how or if the cylinders were marked. Now the nearest major vendor is Airgas and they're rather unclear about what they will and won't exchange.
I do recall from recent experience with semiconductor gas cylinders that some are "prepaid demurrage", which isn't refundable and the cylinders can only be exchanged at the original vendor. Semiconductor gases are expensive enough that the cylinder does not matter much, but it'd be an expensive mistake for a welding gas if that practice is used.
Thanks for reading, any counsel appreciated.
bob prohaska

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ndGB-Ww47M4

Best Regards Tom.

The local dealer told me that in general the knee-high 20 cubic foot cylinders are presumed to be customer-owned and exchangeable unless you want your own tank refilled, the tall 80 cf ones are presumed to be rented.
Check the hydro-test date stamp.
Here is TriCo's breakdown: http://www.tricowelding.com/cylinder_sizing.html
-jsw
The minute you exchange your "owner" cylinder for a gas company cylinder, you no longer have the owner cylinder. It is a very unfortunate mess.
I use a lot of oxygen and acetylene (about 5 tanks of oxy and one tank of acetylene per month). I found a welding gas supplier who is inexpensive and quite liberal about what cylinders they exchange. I acquired a lot of tanks at closed down plants and such, they exchanged them all for Airgas cylinders and they now supply all my welding gases. I actually have too many tanks and need to sell some.
message

But the occasional user can get a cylinder with a later date stamp. -jsw

Airgas has been my supplier for over 25 years, never had a problem. When i moved from chicago to las vegas i took my cylinders with me and have never been refused a refill. I would be very cautious buying cylinders from an individual, i see a lot of people trying to sell realy old (linde,airco,etc) for what you can buy a cylinder from airgas or praxair.
Best Regards Tom.

My supplier is an airgas dealer, not airgas direct, he takes just about any cylinder except for Terrace supply etc
Ignoramus24975 wrote:

Actually , Iggy , when you take that cylinder out the door you own it every bit as much as the one you left . To the OP , if the cylinder has a collar that says it's the property of whatever company , that is usually their cylinder and you'll be charged rental <sometimes called demurrage> for it . I've heard cases where someone buys a used tank , takes it in to swap and is <sometimes not so> politely told thanks for returning our tank , now get lost .
--
Snag

I'm starting to appreciate the depth of the mess. It appears that a cylinder with no engraving on the collar and no hint of a gas distributor name anywhere in the metal is considered "customer owned". There seems to be some controversy regarding size. Little cylinders aren't a problem but anything bigger than about 100 cf appears to be questionable.
I'll have to do a little more research before I take the plunge and buy anything, new or used. In the mid '70s I paid $250 for a Purox set with no tanks. Now I'm seeing Victor sets with tanks for similar prices. Given inflation, that's a huge discount. One explanation is that the existing tanks are worthless and new tanks and gas will be much more expensive in the future. A discouraging trend, indeed!
Thanks to everyody for your guidance!
bob prohaska

Yeah... my 'local' NAPA store is the only place closer than 30 miles away that has gas, and they don't carry every gas in every size of container.
They will readily swap out my tanks, even though I go a year sometimes before finishing off acetylene. Although he's _remarked_ about the age, he's never refused to swap.
But he won't let me take a tank unless I have an open truck or my trailer. I tried once in a cargo van, and he wouldn't allow it to be loaded. I think he's a smart guy.
LLoyd
On Sun, 15 Mar 2015 07:34:19 -0500, "Lloyd E. Sponenburgh"

Given the potential risk, I can see why.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v
WBINa7cxI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zt3AV9uO0_Q

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UwX5NqhEzbc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S72IbsVoczM

-- Sir Winston Churchill

I must respectfully disagree. A little soapy water or a reasonably sensitive nose is enough to forestall problems. The last video, of the plumber's van, is the only relevant example and clearly he didn't check for leaks.
Thanks for the links!
bob prohaska

The first set of tanks I bought, back in the 80's, heated up in the hot car enough to hiss while I was driving them home.
On Sun, 15 Mar 2015 21:59:54 -0400, "Jim Wilkins"

When I carry tanks in my car, I put them in the trunk with the lid propped open about a foot and some rope holding the tanks down.
--
Ed Huntress (off to Chicago in a few hours -- see you next Friday)

Ok, what's the rest of the story?
bob

He flicked his Bic to see if he could find where the hiss was coming from and died right there in a fiery explosion. The next day, he stopped by the Airgas store and the manager refused to refund his money for the bottles. "Sorry" he said "we don't serve shades here."
Meanwhile, back at the ranch, little Suzie was making cookies.
-- Sir Winston Churchill

He lit a match.............
To check his tank..............
That's why they call him...........
Skinless Frank.
Burma Shave.
(Seen from the backseat of Dad's '56 Pontiac some time in the early 60's. Somewhere in S. Illinois.
On Tue, 17 Mar 2015 00:58:51 -0700 (PDT), Garrett Fulton

Loved 'em.

Kinda like this guy with a tanker truck?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-5M--0CSZ1I

-- Sir Winston Churchill
On Tuesday, March 17, 2015 at 9:48:48 PM UTC-4, Larry Jaques wrote:

Wow. So many people with good sense unemployed. And that guy's got a job. Well....maybe not now.

I hope you have a good excuse for that, like heavy drinking, rather than senility.