Mig welded a SS washing drum - how long?!

This is Hoover Electron 1100 washing machine baught 1984 and I mended over the years from reasonable ailments! It started jumping out of it's box recently under spin cycle and otherwise
was working fine, couldnt think what the problem might be until I found a shaggy strip of thin stainless (about 3'' x 1/4'' ) in the water out trap. After unbolting the back of the main drum case, it revealed main drum bearing with a cast Al. 3 leg spider holding the stainless wash drum. One of the legs had ripped chunks out of the thin stainless drum, second leg showing heavy fatigue cracking in the stainless and third leg still attached OK. Well bin or bodge having got his far?! I dont have TIG so I attacked with the MIG and welded the stainless drum ~.025'' rather expecting the weld not to take to stainless. However seems fine and now back together and fully working but in last chance saloon I guess! Has anyone any idea what happens to mig/stainless boundaries? Obviously the welds will survive for sometime due to the extra thickness apart from rust corrosion in the damp atmosphere, but have the MIG joints to this fairly thin stainless got any longevity under what must be considerable bending stresses? MIG wire was 0.8mm flux cored mild steel (marked 04010).

good on ya for keeping the old girl going. Bet your repair lasts a long time. You will get rusting at the weld but I wouldn't expect fractures.
Karl
On Sat, 28 May 2011 05:35:28 -0500, Karl Townsend

Well thanks to you both, - thats what I like to see - a bit of optimism!! Charlie

I am a bit of a pessimist. The HAZ of the stainless is going to be more likely to crack. The additional metal will help , but may not be enough.
You can buy stainless wire for your MIG welder, but not usually cheap. I think Silicon Bronze might be another possibility. ( less heat so smaller HAZ ).
But hey it is worth a shot.
Dan
On Sun, 29 May 2011 19:04:45 -0700 (PDT), " snipped-for-privacy@krl.org"

Hi Dan yes boundry cracking would have been my guess too but what the mechanism for failure would be was my interest! Time will tell I suppose, a search seems to be quite positive as regards to MildS Mig of stainless exhaust pipes - so might be ok! I will suck it and see! Thanks to all