Milling machine fast feed clutch wear?

I've finally completed my phase converter and wired up my Elliott Sturdimill which I have not had a chance to test until tonight. Checked the machine over, everything appears to be in GWO except the fast feed clutch. This machine has a dog clutch for normal feed speeds and a multiple plate clutch for fast speeds; operating the fast feed lever causes the sliding dog to disengage and this, in turn, presses on the end of the multiple plate clutch and engages fast speed. I found that if the axis levers are all in neutral, the fast speed works (I can hear the gearing running faster), but if any of the axis levers are engaged, the feed simply stops; this leads me to suspect the plate clutch is worn out. It seems that, by design, the plate clutch is slipping 99.9% of the time when normal feed speed is engaged, so I am not terribly surprised that it's worn. Does any one have experience of a similar clutch system, do they wear excessively, have you fixed one? Martin

Reply to
Martin Whybrow

Martin Have you checked if there is any adjustment in the linkage or the engagement dogs. On my Hz mill, a DuFour, there is an adjustment in the gearbox that will take up some of the clearance in the system and allow the full engagement, or pressure, of the clutch. The dog clutch you describe sounds similar to what I have. lg no neat sig line

Reply to
larry g

Larry There's nothing in the manual about adjusting the linkage; the whole gearbox has to be extracted to access the clutch, so I guess that's the next step. Martin

Reply to
Martin Whybrow