Milling on the lathe Vertical tslot table or vertical milling vise?

On Thu, 29 Dec 2005 19:34:20 -0500, Brent Philion

=======================First thing to do is to buy and read:
Milling Operations in the Lathe (Workshop Practice) Tubal Cain Milling Operations in the Lathe (Workshop Practice) Publisher: learn how customers can search inside this book. List Price: 6.95 Our Price: 5.56 & eligible for Free UK delivery on orders over 15 with Super Saver Delivery. See details & conditions. You Save: 1.39 (20%) Powell's in the US generally has this in stock see http://www.powells.com /
second thing to do is to order one or more morse taper end mill adapters to fit your lathe. You can use a piece of "allthread" as a drawbar. UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES ATTEMPT TO USE A JACOBS TYPE DRILL CHUCK WITH OUR WITHOUT A DRAWBAR. You can also make a adapter to go on your face plate from a piece of 1 inch thick plate or bar.
Third thing is to *NEVER* attempt to climb cut [where the endmill tends to pull the part into the cut.] Even the best lathes have far too much backlash to do this.
Forth thing is to keep telling your self "its not a mill ... its not a mill..." and take light cuts.
Much high quality work has been done with a lathe adopted as a milling machine. It is not as convieient or fast.
The Palmgren vice allows easy vertical adjustment. I have never used the Myford vertical table, but this may be more rigid.
See http://www.mcduffee-associates.us/machining/latheMilling.htm to see how we adopted a surplus compound slide for vertical adjustment to lathe milling. You may well be able to do the same thing with your Myford compound. Just make sure everything is rigid.
Uncle George
<SNIP>

I already own the book and a few more in the series (workholding as an example)
Busybee tools carries them in canada

Endmill holder has gone from the "would be nice" pile to the necessary pile in my tooling update

Every book i've ever seen says not to do this on anythign short of a giant production machine a lathe is not a giant production mill

Can I say "it makes me want to buy the mill faster" instead =)
I only intend to use lathe milling until i can resolve my time and space issues and get a real mill and working area

Even with the section incomplete your website is amazing and has been bookmarked as i am an electronics telecom person entering into craft machining
Thanks very much
Brent Philion Ottawa Canada

I don't understand the page with the boring head. http://www.mcduffee-associates.us/machining/cheap_boring_head.htm
The pictures are probably supposed to be self-explanatory, but it's not working for me. I know how a boring head works, but I cannot figure out what the added part is for, made from square bar.

Since you don't have calibrations like a real boring head, you need some way to measure how far out you have set the tool bit. The extra block allows you to do that. Gingery uses a similar method in his books as well. --Glenn Lyford
Brent Philion wrote:

Since nobody has replied about the vertical table vs. vise, I'll comment. I've got a Palmgren milling slide with a slotted table instead of a vise, I've always regretted that. By the time you get a vise on the thing, you've got a whale of a lot of leverage on the compound. I replaced the lantern TP mounting forks on the milling attachment with a disk that fits the compound hole on the 9" S.B., it helped, but not a whole lot. Still a lot of leverage there, things moved while cutting. I made my own milling cutter holder for the headstock, cut off a large MT3-shanked drill, drilled and tapped the small end for a drawbar and bored a hole in the other for the cutter shank, secured with a setscrew. Still couldn't do keyways very well. Solved it by going with a Aamco shaper. I now have a small vertical mill for that stuff. The slotted vertical table was good in theory, being more flexible than a vise, I just couldn't get a solid setup that way.
Stan