Milling styrene?

Once winter settles in for it's long & tiresome run, I'd like to get back to a series of model projects I have started, eventually trying to re-create the USS Kalamazoo. Among the usual suspects of metal content, I'd like to try CNC milling some of the plastic components.

Any tips on how to accomplish this without melting?

TIA

Reply to
John Hofstad-Parkhill

Kent Frazier

I have had a lot of success milling ASTM some number styrene plastic drain pipe caps, rather than ABS or PVC.

I use a sharp carbide fly cutter for all cuts, and I do some drilling. Feeds are slow. Air cools the work.

In general, in plastic, to avoid rusting the machine, I cool with isopropanol spray. Don't breath a lot of it.

And you go slow, remembering the proportion between feed and speed that gives a good chip load per tooth.

Why stryrene?

To read about my senior project at ODU, Go to Google Groups and enter dgoncz along with any or some of these words: ultracapacitor electric bicycle motor generator fluorescent energy display

Reply to
Doug Goncz