Monitoring well pump OT?

Hi,

Had to repair an underground leak yesterday. The well pump was probably running for a few days as I don't get out to that shed all that often. I hate to think what the power bill will look like for this month with 11A x 240v.

The well head shed is about 100 yards from the house and not visible through the trees. I'd like some suggestions on monitoring it's on- times. I thought of using a baby monitor but they don't have the Tx- distance to the house.

Thoughts please guys?

Dave

Reply to
Dave, I can't do that

2x 20 watt bulbs in series, connected across the motor and mounted on the outside of the shed? Take a look each night before bed and make sure they are off?
Reply to
Jim Stewart

Assuming that the power for the shed comes from the house & that the pump is the only self-starting load in the shed: put a current monitor on the shed line before it leaves the house. A current transformer or a current relay, activating an indicator somewhere where you'd notice its excessive on-ness.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Engelhardt

This would seem to be a good application for a carrier current transmitter.

Kevin Gallimore

Reply to
axolotl

Dave might not know what that is. Google X-10 or see

Don Foreman

Well, I don't know who's more confused here. X-10 is way overkill, and I've heard not that reliable. If the breaker panel that feeds the pump is closer to the house, then all that's needed is a current transformer, and a pilot light and/or elapsed time meter.

Hope This Helps! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise