Motor bearing replacement

I have a Brooks 1/2 hp single phase motor I want to replace the bearings in. Luckily these are metric 6203 as inch bearings seem to be about 3x the price in the UK. The current bearings are metal shield and the motor has grease nipples. I don't know if the bearings are original. Would there be any benefit to fitting dual rubber seal bearings and not bothering with the greasing. The motor is used in a grinder.

Reply to
David Billington

If you can keep grit away from the bearings then use the sealed bearings. If grit can get to the sealing area it will eventually ruin the seal. A little dirt is OK, it's when it gets blasted that the seal life is really shortened. ERS

Reply to
Eric R Snow

Yes, and there's no reason not to use them. The RS bearings are perhaps a few pence more than the shielded, and neither can be properly re-greased. The shielded ones just let in the grit faster.

By the way, even in the US, virtually all motor bearings are metric and have been for a good while. A teensy bit of sanity in a country where half the states still measure land in "U.S. Survey feet!"

Jim

Reply to
Jim Wilson

By the way, even in the US, virtually all motor bearings are metric and have been for a good while.

Were in the beginning, and still are.

Spindle bearings are another matter, and are often inch bore O.D. and thickness; or metric bore and O.D., but inch thickness.

Railroad frictionless bearings have always been inch.

Reply to
Peter H.

Most of the Emerson-made Sears motors from the '50s into the '80s used inch-size bearings. Kind of an odd setup.

GTO(John)

Reply to
GTO69RA4

At one time I noticed that the same bearing was used in my Bultaco Alpina, my VW Bug and in the american made band saw at work. I can't imagine designing a bearing for a specific task these days. There are so many different ones made, ready and off the shelf. ERS

Reply to
Eric R Snow