Need help with calibrated dial marks

I have several calibrated dials. Example: X-Y table and rotary table, which have calibrated dials on them. They are not that easy to read. I have seen engraving black, (and other color) crayons used to fill in engraving for clarity.Where can I find a something similar to fill in the calibrated dials? I have searched the WED looking for engraving supplies ... with no luck.

Thank you for all your help

Thomas Vincent San Antonio, TX.

Reply to
Thomas

What you are looking for is called a Lacquer stick For example go here

They are available from many sources such as McMaster or MSC or bowling ball supply shops.

Reply to
Russ Haggerty

Plain white chalk (blackboard type) is good. It isn't permanent, but lasts longer than you might imagine. Rub it on with some pressure, then carefully rub off the overfill.

Reply to
Bob Swinney

I tried the chalk trick, and it made the numbers more visible, but still difficult to read because they were so small. I ended up installing a rod on my

10 inch logan fastened to the carriage that accepts a 1 inch dial indicator with a split clamp. Works well and is much easier to read than that original dinky dial.

Mike Eberlein

Reply to
mikee