Not really OT -- Sharpening a knife blade while not at home

On Sun, 27 Nov 2005 16:49:38 GMT, with neither quill nor qualm, "Norm Dresner" quickly quoth:

Good reason. Ouch! Whuffo you let it get infected, huh, huh, huh?

While it might work once, you'll have to buy her another one when you're done. But if it's anything like the one Mom gave to me, it won't be allowed on the airplane. It had a point and was 6" of metal. My sharp 9" pencil sailed right through. Go figure...

That's what the PTB want: total control of the population. (Powers That Be)

--- - Sarcasm is just one more service we offer. -

Web Applications

Reply to
Larry Jaques

I hadn't been aware of anything wrong in the morning and around noon something slammed against my finger. It hurt but again I didn't notice anything until about 5 PM it was starting to really hurt and swell up. I tried some antibiotic cream but it couldn't get in there and by 11 PM we cut it open to let it drain.

Yes, OUCH!

Norm

Reply to
Norm Dresner

Has he finished them yet?

Reply to
jpolaski

"Gerald Miller" wrote: In a pinch, freshly broken glass can provide a cutting edge. Grandfather used to use a piece of glass to finish wooden handles, also to remove the glaze and improve the grip after much use. ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ I can see how a broken glass edge might make an excellent scraper, but for surgery, I doubt it.

Reply to
Leo Lichtman

Actually, obsidian glass is used to make a very fine edged scalpel for surgery on eyes and other very small parts as it can cut a very clean (no tearing) cut with almost no resistance.

Jim

Leo Lichtman wrote:

Reply to
James Askew

"James Askew" wrote: Actually, obsidian glass is used to make a very fine edged scalpel for surgery on eyes and other very small parts as it can cut a very clean (no tearing) cut with almost no resistance. ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ I was referring to the edge *as broken.* Thanks for the info. I'm sure most of us didn't know that obsidian was used to make fine scalpels.

Reply to
Leo Lichtman

Ever heard of obsidian scalpals? See:

Gerry :-)} London, Canada

Reply to
Gerald Miller

Believe it. The trick is in getting a edge rather than a shear break. Whacking a pane on a rock as if to slice the rock with the pane can result in sharp shards. This is best done holding the pane in cloth because smaller shards will fly. The cloth also makes the process quiet if that matters.

Reply to
Don Foreman

Yall may find this of interest..some of us survivalists tend to delve into the estoteric....

Btw..the second link has other interesting things on it..recommended

Gunner, who never could flake worth a damn using deer antler..

Gunner Asch

You should go talk to my brother. He does that sort of thing...

He used to have to haul trashcan loads of stone debris to the dump from his house in tucson....

Jim

Reply to
jim rozen

Great Link!

Thanks for that one.

Reply to
Adam Smith

Thanks, Gunner. cavemanchemistry.com is a really interesting site.

Reply to
jpolaski

btw..I used httTracker to suck down the entire section. Took a while..lots of data there.

Gunner, who will burn it to cd

Gunner Asch