novice: jaw protectors for vice

I've got a small job on where I have to clamp a steel circular shaft in a vice (shaft is approx 2 inches long, 0.75 inches diameter), it's got to be held tight but without damaging the smooth surface of the shaft. Reading from the manual it says I should use jaw protectors on the vice but it didn't say what material. I've tried wood but the shaft just slips. Any pointers? The vice jaws are 5 inch long.

Reply to
tg

Try extruded aluminium angle from the hardware shop. Or brass.

Reply to
Jordan

(shaft is approx 2 inches long, 0.75 inches

of the shaft. Reading from the manual it says I should

wood but the shaft just slips. Any pointers? The vice

Reply to
RichD

(shaft is approx 2 inches long, 0.75 inches

of the shaft. Reading from the manual it says I should

wood but the shaft just slips. Any pointers? The vice

Jaw protectors for machinist's vises are typically brass. No reason why wood won't work, though. If it slips, try harder wood.

Gunsmiths sometimes use leather faces for gripping barrels, and rosin to give them more grip.

John Martin

Reply to
John Martin

I like to use strips of leather for jaw protectors on delicate work that needs a lot of clamping force.

Reply to
Rob Skinner

(shaft is approx 2 inches long, 0.75 inches

of the shaft. Reading from the manual it says I should

wood but the shaft just slips. Any pointers? The vice

Sheet lead.

Reply to
Gary Brady

Most jaw protectors that I have used were made from sheet copper. Lacking copper at one time, I made some from brass.

Steve R.

Reply to
Steve R.

I just use paper towels.