ON topic (wow!) OA Welding tank problem

I seem to have a problem here.

Victor F-100, 0, 00, and #3(?) tips (aircraft project stuff), regulators, small dia hoses, and tanks in a dolly.

No, the rig works fine, but I'm moving into a rental house and noticed in the lease a clause prohibiting storage of flammable or explosive materials.

Small amounts of ammo (less than 2000 rounds per piece :) are deemed ok, but the acetylene tanks might make the insurance company itchy, so...

So, anybody in the D/FW area who would like have this rig?

Tanks were last exchanged in 05.

I don't recall the correct size designations. O2 is ~5' tall, Acetylene is about 3.

What would it be worth in cash or trade?

Richard

Reply to
cavelamb himself

Richard: Just chain them up behind the garage and tarp them. Or keep them on the patio. I kept my rig on the balcony of several apratments here in the DFW area and never had a problem as long as they were covered...disguised.....ahem...ahem..

Craig

Reply to
cvairwerks

That'e what I've done here for the last year.

But it's not worth the risk if someone notices. And with a fair sized boat in the back yard, people "notice" more...

Richard

Reply to
cavelamb himself

What do you know about the landlord? It ought to be OK to just move them in and tarp them; if the landlord says anything apologize and get serious about finding them a new home.

Reply to
Joe Pfeiffer

He pointed out that it's an insurance issue. The lease reads, "anything that might increase risk or rates"...

As for a "new home", I'm getting ready to go sailing for a while. Three to six months for sure, maybe longer...?

But my lady friend isn't going - yet. She has a daughter in high school, so it will be a while for her.

I'm trying to lighten up the storage requirements on stuff that I really don't need to store.

Remember George Carlin's rant an;it "stuff"?

Richard

Reply to
cavelamb himself

Ah, you asked? That makes it awkward. But if it says "might increase risk or rates" I wonder if an oxy rig really would?

Sorry, I meant a new home for the oxy rig if it turned out to be necessary.

I'm afraid that if you followed the pack rats when they made a pilgrimage to their shrine, you'd find them kneeling in before a bunch of little candles in front of a picture of me.... (sadly enough)

Reply to
Joe Pfeiffer

Can't you just return the bottles and get the deposit back. Then you can store the4 torch and regulators?

Bruce in Bangkok (brucepaigeatgmaildotcom)

Reply to
Bruce

It really depends on how often you might need them in the future. There has to be several options other than parting with them. the insurance clause is onerous and stupid.. what about gas for a grass mower? chainsaw etc, or fire wood and paper? Ask the landlord about this? . there all other combustible materials like upholstered furniture magazines cooking oil as well as cotton clothing plastic etc. What about releasing the gas? fromthe tank. No gas no fire risk. then you get to Keep the gear. Youve a natural justice right to raise these concerns

Reply to
Ted Frater

If the tanks are yours, you could just empty them and have zero fire hazard ;)

Reply to
Nick Hull

Richard, considering your affection for building and flying homebuilt experimentals thus preclude you?

George

Reply to
George

LoL! Yep, there is that. But I have repented.

I'm just a simple sailor now...

Richard

Reply to
cavelamb himself

Empty the tanks.

Wes

Reply to
Wes

And then?

I'm trying to get rid of them...

Reply to
cavelamb himself

That is sad to hear, but then it is all about aerodynamics isn't it?

Where are you planning to sail? Caribbean or further?

Of course you are going to continue dropping in to r.a.h. aren't you? If not, you will be missed.

Anyway and whatever, all the best.

George

Reply to
George

On Sun, 22 Jul 2007 14:44:18 -0400, with neither quill nor qualm, Wes quickly quoth:

Into his landlord's car?

- Metaphors Be With You -

Reply to
Larry Jaques

"cavelamb himself" wrote: And then?

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ I just went back and re-read your original post. The lease on the new place you have rented does not allow storage of combustibles or explosives. Empty the acetylene tank. Oxygen is neither combustible or explosive. (You may have to argue with some people about it.)

Reply to
Leo Lichtman

I'm a little vague on how this will help him sell an O/A rig he no longer needs. The guy has unneeded gear and wants money, this is not a tough problem guys. If I was closer I'd throw you an offer. BTW emptying an acetylene tank of Acetylene will leave you with a tank full of acetone...which is still highly flammable.

Reply to
Stuart Wheaton

Go back and read his original post. He seemed, at that point, to only be trying to get rid of the rig because of the terms of the lease (in which case, solutions that involved keeping the rig seemed preferable). It was only later that it came out he might just want to get rid of it anyway.

Reply to
Joe Pfeiffer

Aw, George, don't make me get all misty now...

I truly did enjoy the work. And especially the people. Yeah, I'll miss it. But on to new things. The only permanent thing in life is change.

I did manage to accomplish that childish childhood dream. Design, build and fly my own airplanes.

What a hoot that was! Like all the excitement of your first solo - layered with all the dread of wondering what you forgot... Lots of raw wild emotion there.

You are right. Flying and sailing are identical opposites. So I fly a one-winged glider now and 6 knots is really hauling!

I'm going to launch from Khema in a few months. Heading along the coast with the vague intent of making the Bahamas and back before the season starts up again.

Just trying to get the girls all settled into their new home first. School starts up soon so they need to get it done now.

I just posted a garage sale notice in R.A.H. Cleaning out boxes of stuff and found a few aviation related things that I just couldn't toss in the trash - and don't want to store.

There are some beautiful models there - if anyone here is interested.

And - yes - I still need to do something with these welding tanks!?!

Aw well - sniff -

Thanks George.

Richard

Reply to
cavelamb himself

My bad, guys. Sorry.

No, I don't need them any more. Yes, the lease at the new house prohibits storage.

No, they won't fit in the boat... Yes, I hope somebody can get some use of them.

Richard

Reply to
cavelamb himself