OT-45% tax rate on dividends in 2011

Buried in Nancy Pelosi's health-care bill is a provision that will partially repeal tax indexing for inflation, meaning that as their earnings rise over a lifetime these youngsters can look forward to paying higher rates even if their income gains aren't real. This is a sneaky way for politicians to pry more money out of workers every year without having to legislate tax increases. The negative effects of failing to index compound over time, yielding a revenue windfall for government as the years go on. The House tax surcharge is estimated to raise $460.5 billion over 10 years, but only $30.9 billion in 2011, rising to $68.4 billion in 2019, according to the Joint Tax Committee.

And by the way, this surcharge has also been sneakily written to apply to modified adjusted gross income, which means it applies to both capital gains and dividends that are taxed at lower rates. So the capital gains tax rate that is now 15% would increase in 2011 to 25.4% with the surcharge and repeal of the Bush tax rates. The tax rate on dividends would rise to 45% from 15% (5.4% plus the pre-Bush rate of 39.6%).

The return of the inflation tax demonstrates once again the stealth radicalism that animates ObamaCare. In the case of inflation indexing, Democrats would repeal a 30-year bipartisan consensus that it is unfair to tax unreal gains in income, thus hitting millions of middle-class Americans over time with tax rates advertised as only hitting "the rich." Oh, and the House vote on this exercise in dishonest government will come as early as Saturday.

Best Regards

Tom.

Reply to
azotic

BOHICA!!!

Reply to
Buerste

Consensus? How do you explain the continuing AMT? We are all "millionaires" now.

Reply to
Richard J Kinch

And here's a comment from the article that I felt was appropriate to include, since you posted only a portion of the full article:

James Samans replied

"Hmm. Let's see... assuming 3% inflation and a 5% pay increase per year, meaning a real increase of 2%... yes, the average twentysomething now making $50,000 per year will hit the $500,000 non-indexed cap in 127 years.

I guess the middle class should start sweating now." _____________

There will be hundreds, if not thousands, of tax loopholes forged into any final document.

No matter how many times you scream about it, the fact remains that the Democrats do not have enough votes to force this through BOTH chambers.

Reply to
TinLizziedl

I do not understand how James Samans calculated. When I do the math it is only 48 years assuming a 5% pay raise every year. And if you assume that inflation is running 5% and a real wage increase of 2% , then I calculate it as 34 years. So the 20 something is likely to feel the effects well before he is eligible for Social Security.

Dan

Reply to
dcaster

As Warren Buffett insightfully pointed out, this country did very well when tax rates were much higher than they are now.

A combination of low tax rates and high deficits is not sustainable.

Ignoramus8745

Actually they were not much higher overall. Lots of deductions went away, so the effective tax rate is much higher at the same percentage. You use to be able to deduct all interest, Credit card, mortgage, auto loans, sales tax. etc.

Reply to
Bill McKee

Should the legislation become law and take effect in 2011 it will reduce the the income of seniors who planned their retirement around investing in stocks that pay dividends significantly lowering thier standard of living. And we have individuals that if they need to cash out thier investments will have to pay an outragous capitol gains tax.

It will be intresting in 2012 when those people get a huge tax bill for making all the right decisions in thier youth, i suspect many will remember that check they wrote on april 15th in november.

One would think the dems would have waited until 2013 for these new rates to go into effect to prevent another clean sweep that happened in 2008 and retain the structure they now enjoy. Perhaps they are to drunk with power to look down the road 2 years.

Best Regards Tom.

Reply to
azotic

Blink blink...so we simply tax everyone at say...75% of their gross income and pay off the deficet really quickly..right?

"IMHO, some people here give Jeff far more attention than he deserves, but obviously craves. The most appropriate response, and perhaps the cruelest, IMO, is to simply killfile and ignore him. An alternative, if you must, would be to post the same standard reply to his every post, listing the manifold reasons why he ought to be ignored. Just my $0.02 worth."

Reply to
Gunner Asch

Nope democrats enact a global tax on financial transactions over $900k, say a flat of 90% tax on all proffit with no deductions, all payments go dirrectley to the the irs which deducts the tax owed and the taxpayer recieves a check for the balance. Only then will warren buffet and others like him pay thier fair share.

The deficit will be gone in a few years.

Best Regards Tom.

Reply to
azotic

Don't forget the 110% income tax on all naturalized citizens.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

You can take any good idea and carry it to the point of absurdity.

Ignoramus8745

Let the Record show that Gunner Asch on or about Sat, 07 Nov 2009 17:42:05 -0800 did write/type or cause to appear in rec.crafts.metalworking the following:

You'll note that Buffet took advantage of the tax laws to move most of his fortune into a foundation, which is being administered by the Gates.

It is not slavery, we're just having your salary put in escrow, and then the government will provide you with what you need.

tschus pyotr

pyotr filipivich

Yes..YOU certainly can.

Gunner