OT data recovery

Karl, what error message did you get when your computer crashed? Was it, in fact, hard drive related?
On Thu, 14 Jun 2012 05:25:04 -0500, Karl Townsend

Well, I've tried the freezing with limitted success, and in Guelph Ontario there is a data recovery service I have used. Recovery Force, 519-750-3169, 350 Speedvale Ave. Price varies with the job - usually a couple hundred bucks.
HOWEVER - there IS a program you can use to recover data from a drive from a company called EaseUS. The data recovery wizard is about 70 clams - and it WORKS (or at least it has for me several times). The drives were not even identified by the computer bios, but when attached to a R-Drive III USB adapter, the program found all the files I needed to get off both drives.
GREAT TOOL!!!!
On Thu, 14 Jun 2012 20:42:12 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

Good tip. I've used their free partition software with excellent results.
-- Doctors prescribe medicine of which they know little, to cure diseases of which they know less, in human beings of which they know nothing. --Francois-Marie Arouet Voltaire, about 250 years ago
I had a good experience with Geek Squad, although others told me to steer clear of them. It was around $500. Any Best Buy has one inside. They gave me back more data that I asked for. SWMBO had data that had to come back. I would have paid more but didn't have to. Time is the problem. I think it was a month or more getting it back. No affiliation whatsoever, just a satisfied customer. They try a trick or two in the store. If the drive does not read, they box it up and send it out for level 1 service. That is about what they do in the store. It usually don't work and they call you you and ask if it is ok to proceed with level 2 ($500). You say yes and 75% or so of the time, they fix it at that. Otherwise it goes to level 3 and that is where they tell you if you have to ask what it cost you can't afford it (I am exagerrating a little here but you get the point) . They keep you informed during the whole process so you don't get stuck with a bill you can't pay. This was a year ago around the Louisville KY metro area. YMMV. Good Luck Lyndell

Important other info I forgot about: They provide your data on a new flash drive unless it is huge and they will put that on a brand new external hardrive. Either way copy it on you new computer and preferably copy on anotehr drive of some type (i.e external hardrive). They say the flash drive can sit around and gather static electric or something and lose the data you just payed $500 to get back. This would not be good. I was told it is like at light bulb........you get a good one and sometimes you get a bad one. Just food for thought. I have the flash drive , new computer and an external hardrive. The hardrive is in a fireproof area. Lyndell

On Thu, 14 Jun 2012 22:36:02 -0400, "Lyndell Thompson"

The EaseUS is busy restoring an old Seagate that belongs to a customer - in an hour and a half it has located 34000 picture files - has another 2 1/2 hours or so to go. Another drive that was totally unaccessible through windows on a computer. Running EaseUS on a windows machine it pops up after about half an hour.
On 6/14/2012 11:01 PM, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

Have you ever used Clonezilla? I recently replace two small hard drives for a local business and used it to copy an 80 & a 160 GB drive to new 500 GB drives. For those that aren't familiar with it, it is a group of HD utilites thar run under Linux. You download the .ISO and burn it to a CDROM with a program like 'Deep Burn' Not all CD burning software will produce bootable CDROMs. Both programs are free and availible online. If you need and can't find them, let me know and I'll locate the sites again.