OT: feedback needed

I am thinking of taking another run at learning Spanish.

Pimsleur has a starter CD set for 9.95$US, with somewhat expensive follow up lesson CDs on an opt out basis. ?One month after you receive your Quick & Simple you'll begin receiving 30 day trial copies of advanced Pimsleur courses in the language you selected. Each course is yours to try for 30 days. You'll receive a new course once every

60 days. For each course you keep we'll bill you in four monthly payments of $64. Remember, there's never an immediate obligation to buy any course because of the 30-day trial...?

Has anyone in the group used this and if so would you care to share your results. This sounds too good to be true.

The Pimsleur salespitch website is

F. George McDuffee

You can't find someone bilingual where you are, and ask for coaching?

I'm guessing that the course will give you some basic Spanish, but that the people near you will be speaking a variation, and your Spanish course won't be all that useful.

.

Pimsleur has a starter CD set for 9.95$US, with somewhat expensive follow up lesson CDs on an opt out basis. "One month after you receive your Quick & Simple you'll begin receiving 30 day trial copies of advanced Pimsleur courses in the language you selected. Each course is yours to try for 30 days. You'll receive a new course once every

60 days. For each course you keep we'll bill you in four monthly payments of $64. Remember, there's never an immediate obligation to buy any course because of the 30-day trial..."

Has anyone in the group used this and if so would you care to share your results. This sounds too good to be true.

The Pimsleur salespitch website is

Stormin Mormon

"F. George McDuffee" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com...

I couldn't learn correct Russian pronunciation from a computer course, or even a native speaker at work who wasn't trained to teach.

For French and German they didn't send us to listen to tapes in the language lab until we had a semester or two of live instruction.

Maybe you could listen to Univision for pronunciation. Having learned Latin and French I can read simple Spanish and partly understand it when spoken carefully by announcers and actors, but not the street dialects.

jsw

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

Check out the FSI Language Courses

They are free (you already paid for them). They are similar to Pimsleur (they are what Pimsleur was or the other way around).

If you are larcenous, you can find the Pimsleur courses. Check out alt.binaries.world-languages.

Reply to
GeorgeD

Your first dose of our drug is free (with $10 s/h.) It's a hook.

$1k course:

$1.4k course

-- The ultimate result of shielding men from folly is to fill the world with fools. -- Herbert Spencer

Reply to
Larry Jaques

"F. George McDuffee" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com...

I couldn't learn correct Russian pronunciation from a computer course, or even a native speaker at work who wasn't trained to teach.

For French and German they didn't send us to listen to tapes in the language lab until we had a semester or two of live instruction.

Maybe you could listen to Univision for pronunciation. Having learned Latin and French I can read simple Spanish and partly understand it when spoken carefully by announcers and actors, but not the street dialects.

jsw ______________________

Latin? Raised by Jesuits?

Reply to
Tom Gardner

is that they make it practically impossible to opt out, so it will end up costing you $266, and you may have to get your state's attorney general involved to get out of paying.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Elson

No, I attended the public high school John Irving dissed in "Garp", as did his sister Nancy.

We didn't have to learn to speak it. They told us, quite correctly, that Latin grammar and vocabulary unlock the difficulties of most other European Romance languages which are modern dialects of Latin, and others such as German and Russian with similar grammar and many loan words. For example both Kaiser and Czar mean Caesar.

English is a mongrel which retains so little of the original grammar that it's an annoying added complexity when learning French and others where words have gender.

We still have the changes in pronouns, as I-my-me, thou-thy-thee, he-his-him, we-our-us, but in Latin -all- nouns change depending on whether they are the subject, owner, object, recipient or donor in a sentence.

Modern grammars are various simplified subsets of Latin's and a large part of the vocabulary is still in use, like "video" and "audio", "I see" and "I hear".

jsw

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

Personally, I've found the Rosetta Stone method works better than anything else I've tried, for my learning style. Hurts a bit cost-wise, but only once. You might want to find a trial and buy if it works for you.

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Reply to
Spehro Pefhany

[...]

You're a brave man Jim!

Reply to
Tom Gardner

Interesting... curious, what Wikipedia entry did you find the 80's info in?

Erik

Reply to
Erik

I learned my Latin at the same HS as Lyndon Larouche .

We also had 2 years in junior high, taught by a faded Georgia belle. The HS Latin teacher got a kick out of the fact that the students from my junior high recited our declensions with a southern accent.

Reply to
Ned Simmons

My Latin teacher had no sense of humor. :(

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

----------- Current ad on many of the international news websites I visit. Also just got an email from the company. Appears to be a branch of Simon & Schuster.

Reply to
F. George McDuffee

I would probably have wisecracked that it was Sicilian, Italy's deep south.

jsw

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

"Jim Wilkins" on Wed, 22 Feb 2012 08:39:44

I had a friend who had a Deep South drawl - even in German.

"Guten tag, du all."

Reply to
pyotr filipivich

George, to get you warmed up, have you tried the BBC's free online language lessons? They might not be for you, but maybe...

Ed Huntress

I was sitting in a tree overlooking the front course and back loop at the Hockenheim racetrack, watching practice, when a group walked up nearby and one of them gave driving strategy instructions to the others in German, in a thick-as-gumbo NASCAR accent like that. He sounded so funny that I almost fell out of the tree.

jsw

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

I never thought of that. Seriously funny.

.

I had a friend who had a Deep South drawl - even in German.

"Guten tag, du all."

-- pyotr Go not to the Net for answers, for it will tell you Yes and no. And you are a bloody fool, only an ignorant cretin would even ask the question, forty two, 47, the second door, and how many blonde lawyers does it take to change a lightbulb.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I was always sure to ask for the "all-mammal" meat pies.

They did not appreciate my humor.

Reply to
Ed Huntress