OT-- I speak 'shop' to auto salvage yards

After having overheard the conversations on the 'hotline' between salvage yards, I learned enough of the language to be understood by the natives.

Example:

[A1 Salvage]: "A1 Salvage" [Winston]: "For a 1980 El Camino, a driver's side door in dark brown." [A1 Salvage]: "No." [Winston]: "Thanks, Bye."

The whole transaction normally takes place in less than 15 seconds and frees everyone up to continue their lives very nicely.

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

LOL.

Standardized "Aviation English" is about 300 words. I wonder how many words you could get Salvage English down to?

Reply to
Jim Stewart

Not too darned many. :)

I should start a 'salvage yard' dictionary:

buck: noun. One hundred dollars

rear clip: noun. Includes: rear bumper, deck lid or hatch assembly, rear finish panel, left and right tail lamps, trunk floor, back glass, outer and inner roof panel and body floor pan up to the first seam.

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

I think I've heard that the Army enlisted vocabulary is around 100 words. A few choice words cover a very wide range of meanings.

The Voice of America writers had a list of about 900 words to use, excluding place names..

jsw

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

Your gentle server at A1 forgot the magic words: "Want me to find one for you?" whereupon you indicate in the affirmative.

G'luck on '80 Elk parts, though.

-- The ultimate result of shielding men from folly is to fill the world with fools. -- Herbert Spencer

Reply to
Larry Jaques

I think that's excellent idea. Sounds very useful.

I got a totally strange look when I walked into a hardware store and asked for a Weslock passage, Elegante, times five, 2 3/8 RCL. My locksmith wholesale house counter guy woulda asked how many did I want.

.

I should start a 'salvage yard' dictionary:

--Winston

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

In the book "The Right Stuff" they did mention Army Creole.

One of my favorite lines is the jeep driver in the original MASH movie. The actor who played Dr. Joe Early in Emergency! at the hospital. I think IRL, he was married to Dixie McCall. Jack London, was his name, maybe?

.

I think I've heard that the Army enlisted vocabulary is around 100 words. A few choice words cover a very wide range of meanings.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

That was Bobby Troup. He was a musician. He wrote the song "Route 66". He was indeed married to Julie London, aka "Dixie". She was also a singer.She had also been married to Jack Webb.

Paul K. Dickman

Reply to
Paul K. Dickman

Then why did you ask for one in a hardware store?

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

(...)

That was just an example.

In real life, I was looking for a driver's seat for my older Camry because I was quite tired of the way it rocked fore and aft on deceleration and acceleration, respectively.

(I love that car, otherwise.)

It wasn't the original seat either. The original had a coffee stain on the right side, was well worn and had upholstery tears in two places, from the tool pouch I carry in my right hip pocket.

--But it didn't rock to and fro.

*This* 'rocking' seat (which is quite clean, relatively unworn and has no upholstery tears) magically appeared in the original's place when I had a new set of tires fitted at a local shop. (All I had to do the following day was put the drive motor axle back in the seat frame and it began to work fine.) (Except for the 'rocking' business.)

Shazam! How lucky can a guy get, I ask you?

But back to our Recycled Parts Monger this morning:

He didn't have a seat and didn't volunteer to locate one either.

That was lucky, because after further examination, I repaired my present seat by tightening a loose pivot mounting bolt, on the front port side of the seat frame.

DoH! My friends at the shop gave away a perfectly good seat because they couldn't locate and tighten one pivot bolt!

:)

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

Oh, that brings back the memory. Thank you. In the places I've seen him, seems like a nice enough fellow.

.

That was Bobby Troup. He was a musician. He wrote the song "Route 66". He was indeed married to Julie London, aka "Dixie". She was also a singer.She had also been married to Jack Webb.

Paul K. Dickman

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I figured an old hardware store was likely to have a discontinued item on a dusty shelf. My wholesale house wasn't being very helpful.

Christ> I got a totally strange look when I walked into a hardware store and asked

Then why did you ask for one in a hardware store?

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Whoopie ti yi yo, rocking to and fro.

in the saddle, again.

Glad you got a seat that worked for you. So many things in life can be repaired, given the right tools and skills.

.

In real life, I was looking for a driver's seat for my older Camry because I was quite tired of the way it rocked fore and aft on deceleration and acceleration, respectively.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

You have to wave the bad part in their face, since most don't memorize all the stock numbers but some will remember seeing what you're looking for.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

"Gimmewundeez!"

(how to talk hardware in one simple word.)

Christ>

You have to wave the bad part in their face, since most don't memorize all the stock numbers but some will remember seeing what you're looking for.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

No words are needed in a real hardware store, if you have the old item. Unless they have multiple price ranges to chose from.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

"Stormin Mormon" on Tue, 21 Feb

2012 21:55:57 -0500 typed in rec.crafts.metalworking the following:

Oder "Braucht einaml" - same sort of thing in German. (That and "anrufen meinen Chef" solve my problems.)

Reply to
pyotr filipivich

(...)

(...)

I'm *way* too close to San Francisco to be doing that.

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

(...)

Can you really trust a vocabulary which does not have words to say 'Give me the birds-eye lowdown on this caper.'?

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

Not my problem. I live on the other side of the country, for a reason! :)

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell