OT-- I speak 'shop' to auto salvage yards

(...)

Everything is relative, I suppose.

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

(...)

AH! IC

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

Oh, no! I wouldn't want to do THAT to a relative.

-- Good ideas alter the power balance in relationships, that is why good ideas are always initially resisted. Good ideas come with a heavy burden. Which is why so few people have them. So few people can handle it. -- Hugh Macleod

Reply to
Larry Jaques

You *are* Larry, after all! :)

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

Yes, ineffably.

-- Good ideas alter the power balance in relationships, that is why good ideas are always initially resisted. Good ideas come with a heavy burden. Which is why so few people have them. So few people can handle it. -- Hugh Macleod

Reply to
Larry Jaques

DIP or SMD?

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

To learn that, Grasshopper, you must read the Book of Mormon from cover to cover, four times. Then, pray in a monestary in Tibet, for wisdom.

.

And this relates to the price of tea in China, how?

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Larry Jaques on Thu, 23 Feb 2012

07:57:47 -0800 typed in rec.crafts.metalworking the following:

Office of Indian Commerce - they are the ones controlling the export of tea.

Reply to
pyotr filipivich

Wasn't he part of a quartet of fish? First tuna, second tuna, barracuda and bass. They were always good for a fin a piece.

Reply to
pyotr filipivich

"Stormin Mormon" on Thu, 23 Feb

2012 22:55:13 -0500 typed in rec.crafts.metalworking the following:

Wait, what? The Mormons have a Monastery in China?

Reply to
pyotr filipivich

If not, we will soon.

.

2012 22:55:13 -0500 typed in rec.crafts.metalworking the following:

Wait, what? The Mormons have a Monastery in China?

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I wow'ed SWMBO with that recipe over the last few days.

Made me appear competent in the kitchen, it did. She says that I can cook that *any time I want*. It's just the two of us, so I slice out two servings and bake at 350 F for about 20 minutes.

I noticed that when I bake with aluminum foil covering the cookie sheet, the skin sticks to the foil and the fillets slide on to a burger spatula very easily.

It was Very Tasty indeed. Thanks, Ed!

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

Good news. So now you have a recipe that takes 5 minutes to prepare, and that makes you look like a great chef. d8-)

If any others like that come to mind, I'll pass them along. And I'll keep the foil/skin tip handy. I leave the skin on steelhead and large trout, so I may get to use that.

Reply to
Ed Huntress

Sssh! Don't Tell Anyone! :)

Please do. I love good, simple recipes.

It's better than magic when baking salmon. I've not tried it with any other fish.

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

OK, one more. This one will floor you; bland old chicken breasts come out really flavorful and yummy. It takes more than 5 minutes, but it's really quite simple. If your guests (and wife) don't love it, I'll scale a tautog. And tautog scales don't come off, except with pliers, one at a time.

This is for 6 servings, so cut it down as necessary:

1 lb.sliced mushrooms (regular button mushrooms are fine, but you can use any kind you like) 3 tbsp. butter

6 boneless chicken breast halves. If you can find them, Italian-marinated ones are good. Or marinate them youself overnight in Italian salad dressing. Or use unmarinated ones if you're in a hurry. They'll still have plenty of flavor.

3 tbsp. rice vinegar or white wine vinegar (I use the latter). You can get away with cider vinegar in a pinch.

1-1/2 cups whipping (heavy) cream.

3 tbsp. capers, drained

1/4 tsp. fresh-ground black pepper

In a large skillet, cook mushrooms in 1 tbsp. hot butter over medium-high heat about 5 minutes, or until tender. Remove from skillet.

Reduce heat to medium. Add the remaining 2 tbsp. butter and the chicken breasts to the skillet. Cook for 8 - 10 minutes or until no longer pink. I like to turn the heat up a bit and slightly brown them, but it makes little difference if they aren't browned. Remove the chicken breasts and keep them warm, or warm *slightly* in the microwave before serving. Too much microwaving will make them chewy as shoe leather.

(I like to pound the daylights out of the chicken first, to tenderize it. Or, if not that, I like to slice them horizontally so each piece makes two thin fillets. But that isn't necessary. I just like thin chicken.)

Turn off heat. Add vinegar to skillet, stirring to loosen browned bits in bottom of skillet. Work fast; don't let it dry out. Turn heat back up to medium or medium-high. Stir in cream, capers, and pepper. Bring to boiling Boil gently, uncovered, for 2 or 3 minutes until sauce is slightly thickened. Return mushrooms to skillet; heath through. Top chicken with mushroom sauce.

(Slightly modified from a Good Housekeeping recipe.)

You're on your honor regarding the tautog.

Reply to
Ed Huntress

Greetings Ed, I'm the cook in my house. I like it and my wife likes it even more. That recipe above sounds great. I'm gonna make it tomorrow night. I'll let you know about the tautog, whatever that is. Cheers, Eric

Reply to
etpm

I hope you enjoy it, Eric. It's one of my all-time favorite recipes in terms of effort in > enjoyment out.

As for tautog, I have a funny story about trying to scale one several decades ago, before I knew you couldn't. One of my uncle's fishing buddies intoduced me as "that guy who tried to scale a blackfish," accompanied by much laughter. The fish is known as "tautog" in New England and along most of the East Coast. We call them "blackfish" here in NJ. They're delicious. Just make sure you skin them instead of trying to scale them. d8-)

Reply to
Ed Huntress

(...)

That sounds delicious. I'm sure we will enjoy it. Thanks again!

Put down the pliers and back away from the fish!

:)

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

Well Ed, I made your recipe above and it is good. We'll be having it again. Eric

Reply to
etpm

'Glad to hear it, Eric. That one's a keeper.

FWIW, my wife watches her weight and I tried using fat-free half-and-half instead of the cream. Unfortunately, it curdles immediately when it hits the vinegar in the pan.

But we do use olive oil instead of the butter, unless we're making it for company. I like it just as much either way.

Reply to
Ed Huntress