OT-- I speak 'shop' to auto salvage yards

The VOA chose the words carefully, since their target was countries where English was a second or third language.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

So true. I wonder if a NYC hardware, you'd have to say "fuggeddabouddit"?

I've wondered if I could order lunch at my favorite pizza shop, wordlessly. After all, I've had the same order for the last ten plus years.

Christ>

No words are needed in a real hardware store, if you have the old item. Unless they have multiple price ranges to chose from.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

WW2 may have been prolonged because the Japanese response to the July

1945 peace feeler included an ambiguous phrase translatable as 'Think little of [something]" or its opposite "Think nothing of it".

jsw

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

I sincerely don't believe he meant for you to "wave -your- bad parts in their face." Win.

-- Every day I remind myself that my inner and outer life are based on the labors of other men, living and dead, and that I must exert myself in order to give in the same measure as I have received and am still receiving. -- Albert Einstein

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Betty Jo Farber did, Mr. Danger.

-- Every day I remind myself that my inner and outer life are based on the labors of other men, living and dead, and that I must exert myself in order to give in the same measure as I have received and am still receiving. -- Albert Einstein

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Communication is tricky.

In a documentary I saw last night, _Revenge of the Electric Car_ Carlos Ghosn, CEO & President, Nissan appears to say at one point "I'm not sure I know." From context and body language, it is much more likely that he really said "I'm not unsure. I know."

Those two ideas differ somewhat. :)

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

I got a pizza yesterday. The girl behind the counter saw me coming and was smiling, then pretended she didn't know what my 'usual' was before handing it to me. 35 years ago I worked second shift at a defense plant A local pizza place had a buffet on night a week, and a dozen of us would hurry there to eat and get back on our half hour break. They would have our 'usuals' made and in the oven when we were due. In spite of a big sign that said that you couldn't take a whole pizza to your table, they would bring out five and put them on or table, all without saying a word. :)

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

I guess that you really do have to explain E-V-E-R-Y-T-H-I-N-G to some people? ;-)

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Who are you and what have you done with Larry!?

Dood! I've been waiting for you to jump on that line!

:)

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

(...)

Explain what? You spelled it out, cheater. Larry told you I can't read, didn't he?

Grr. :)

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

That's Audrey Farber or Betty Jo Bialowski, rather!

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

Apparently you didn't wave it hard enough! ;-)

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

I had to wait until it was quoted. He's in my filters.

-- Every day I remind myself that my inner and outer life are based on the labors of other men, living and dead, and that I must exert myself in order to give in the same measure as I have received and am still receiving. -- Albert Einstein

Reply to
Larry Jaques

My mistake. Egad, I know that dialog by heart. How -could- I?

-- Every day I remind myself that my inner and outer life are based on the labors of other men, living and dead, and that I must exert myself in order to give in the same measure as I have received and am still receiving. -- Albert Einstein

Reply to
Larry Jaques

"...whatever that means."

David

Reply to
David R. Birch

I made a caper sauce tonight for baked salmon. I loved it, but my wife did not agree.

Reply to
Ed Huntress

Welcome, David. You may wait here in the sitting room or you can sit here in the waiting room. :)

Sounds like Heaven!

Does she not enjoy salmon? Is that even possible?

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

OIC

--Win

Reply to
Winston

She LOVES salmon. She just didn't like the sauce I made. I made the mistake of using my own recipe -- white sauce, capers, bacon bits and lemon juice.

The capers are too sour for her, although I use them in a mushroom cream sauce (with balsamic vinegar) for chicken breasts and she loves that. Too many capers, I guess.

I'll never make chef, because, if it wasn't my wife, I would have tenderized her fingers with the meat mallet.

Reply to
Ed Huntress

And he never fails to bring up some unnamed offense. :(

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell