[OT:] GM - Specific Motor Oil

I'm not making this up.
http://gmdexos.com/aboutdexos.html
Starting next month, GM will reserve the right to cancel your new-car warranty if they find that you are using
'unlicensed' motor oil.
I wonder if this is an attempt to win back the trust and loyalty they obliterated over the last ~30 years?
--Winston <-- Thinks GM is Toyota's best sales team

So, they're going to require fully-synthetic oil from now on. Look at the brands that are already DEXOS licensed (Cam2, Mobil 1, QuakerState, Penzoil, SureGuard - basically all of the name-brand synthetics). Corvettes were spec'd with Mobil 1 for years... it allowed them to reduce the size of the oil cooler and the oil pan, making the cars slightly more "aerodynamic" and improving fuel economy slightly. No big conspiracy really... you are now expected to be "willing" to pay more for a "consumable" in order to help meet the EPA's new corporate fuel economy standards. I would expect the other car companies to have a similar requirements... soon.

David Courtney wrote:

Dexos includes a 'synthetic blend', not fully-synthetic. That's typically 25% synthetic and 75% dino oil.
Projected to cost us 30% to 60% more.

From:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Synthetic_oil
"In July 1996, Consumer Reports published the results of a two year motor oil test involving a fleet of 75 New York taxi cabs and found no noticeable advantage of synthetic oil over regular mineral oil."

Without conspiring in any way. :)
--Winston

Not on a Taxi that is never shut off - no cold starts - and never driven at sustained high speeds.

Ford dealers in these parts have used a synthetic blend routinely for several years. Oil changes there cost no more than at Jiffy Lube.
I think some 2010 Toyotas recommend using only synthetic oil.

Don Foreman wrote:

Note however that Toyota will not void your warranty if you choose the non-synthetic type beyond the first oil change.
http://www.camryforums.com/forum/showthread.php?tS46
--Winston
Don Foreman wrote:

Actually this MIGHT just break some people of the 3000 mile oil change BS that has been going on for years. That would result in less used oil, less exposure by the grease monkeys to the toxic chemicals in oil and use less petroleum to create lube oils. All of those should make tree huggers happy....
--
Steve W.
(\___/)

Many already have for quite some time.

These folks must think they're the Government or something......Wait a minute- they ARE!
--
Mr.E

I'm in the middle of inventorying my stock of Honda-specific fluids for my 2000 CRV. They aren't quite so draconian about using their own stuff, but I've noticed that the friction properties of the all-wheel- drive lube do break down and it needs changing, about when they said it would.
The maintenance chart is rather complex, with both mileage and time intervals that vary with driving conditions. IOW they assume careful and responsible owners. For mild conditions they allow 7500 miles between oil changes, so they aren't being overcautious.
jsw
Winston wrote:

Why? Toyota and Honda both have there own oil specs that you have to follow.
GM has had a spec for oil in place as well as virtually every maker out there. Dexos-1 will supersede the current GM6094M specification for most GM gasoline vehicles.
GM also plans to also use Dexos-1 to replace the GM4718M spec for Corvette, Cadillac and engines with turbochargers, which stipulated Class III synthetic blends; Mobil 1 or the equivalent.
--
Steve W.
(\___/)
Steve W. wrote:

Because I can purchase the proper oil for my Toyota or Honda from many different vendors for ~30% less money than the licensed product is projected to cost.
Thassall I'm saying.
--Winston
Winston wrote:

And you will be able to get the proper oil from a variety of places once the new spec is out there. Just like you can for the Toy. I have a wall full of vehicle specific and application specific oils. From trans fluids (I think I have at least 15 types up there, all current brand specific stuff) Gear lubes, Greases, Brand specific sealants, Coolants.
You name it and there is a brand that has a spec different than anyone else.
--
Steve W.
(\___/)