[OT:] GM - Specific Motor Oil

I'm not making this up.

Starting next month, GM will reserve the right to cancel your new-car warranty if they find that you are using 'unlicensed' motor oil.

I wonder if this is an attempt to win back the trust and loyalty they obliterated over the last ~30 years?

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

David Courtney

Reply to
Mr.E

"In July 1996, Consumer Reports published the results of a two year motor oil test involving a fleet of 75 New York taxi cabs and found no noticeable advantage of synthetic oil over regular mineral oil."

Without conspiring in any way. :)

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

Not on a Taxi that is never shut off - no cold starts - and never driven at sustained high speeds.

Reply to
clare

Many already have for quite some time.

Reply to
aarcuda69062

Reply to
Steve W.

Ford dealers in these parts have used a synthetic blend routinely for several years. Oil changes there cost no more than at Jiffy Lube.

I think some 2010 Toyotas recommend using only synthetic oil.

Reply to
Don Foreman

Reply to
Winston

Note however that Toyota will not void your warranty if you choose the non-synthetic type beyond the first oil change.

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

And you will be able to get the proper oil from a variety of places once the new spec is out there. Just like you can for the Toy. I have a wall full of vehicle specific and application specific oils. From trans fluids (I think I have at least 15 types up there, all current brand specific stuff) Gear lubes, Greases, Brand specific sealants, Coolants.

You name it and there is a brand that has a spec different than anyone else.

Reply to
Steve W.

Actually this MIGHT just break some people of the 3000 mile oil change BS that has been going on for years. That would result in less used oil, less exposure by the grease monkeys to the toxic chemicals in oil and use less petroleum to create lube oils. All of those should make tree huggers happy....

Reply to
Steve W.