Pre-start oil pump for car engine?

I have a wierd (nice) car with an engine that has a reputation for cam & follower wear due to bad lubrication in the first moments after starting. It occurs to me that an electric oil pump could be used to prevent this. Advice from the denizens of r.c.m. appreciated...

Reply to
jtaylor

Better hook it up in parallel with the regular mechanical oil pump. I'd hate to have oil pump failure at 70 mph on the interstate!

Mike Eberle> I have a wierd (nice) car with an engine that has a reputation for cam &

Reply to
mikee

Even simplier yet... A few years back I saw a acumulator that you plumbed into your engine. when the engine was running it was charged with oil from the oil pump in the engine. When the engine was shut off a solenoid valve closed trapping the oil, under pressure, in the acumulator. When starting the engine the next time all you had to do was turn the key to the on position a second ar two before starting to release the oil to pre-lube the engine. Interesting set up, only moving part was the solenoid valve, no controls, just wire it to a source of power when the key is on. Greg

Reply to
Greg O

One thing to think about is using an oil filter with an anti-drainback valve;

I found this at:

Valve. Some oil filter mountings may allow oil to drain out of the filter through the oil pump when the engine is stopped. When the engine is next started, oil must refill the filter before full oil pressure reaches the engine. The anti-drainback valve, included in the filter when required, prevents oil from draining out of the filter. This anti-drainback valve is actually a rubber flap that covers the inside of the inlet holes of the filter. When the oil pump starts pumping oil, the pressure will unseat the flap. The purpose of this valve is to keep the oil filter filed at all times, so when the engine is started there will be an almost instantaneous supply of oil to the engine.

I've heard that not all oil filters have this feature, it depends on the vehicle specs. However I've also heard that even if the specs call for one, that some of the cheaper brands of oil filters leave it out.

Since you didn't say what kind of vehicle you're talking about I don't know if this pertains or not. If the oil filter mounts base up, then this shouldn't be a problem for you.

Reply to
Lane

A co-worker installed one of these in his dodge diesel. Runs mobil one in it, and spins the pre-oiler before every start. He loves it.

Jim

jim rozen

I think this is right on. I had a car years back that I would only use fram filters because they were the only filters that didn't have the few second no pressure on start. The Napa filters of time would take 4 seconds or so before the engine had pressure and ran quite, now this was many years back.

Reply to
Wayne

I had that thought for years i hear a noise when i start the old engine.I never thought of the accumyalator idea

Reply to
HaroldA102

There were some well-off hot-rodders I used to know who had very expensive, very-built engines that they equipped with these things back in the '70s. They used units that were built for marine use, which they got from marine-engine equipment suppliers.

Ed Huntress

Reply to
Ed Huntress

This is the best answer for your situation.

Reply to
Simon Jester

A number of folks with whom I used to race used these. They all spoke highly of them. I'm assuming that any race car oriented supply house would have them. An added benefit is that it increases the volume of oil in the car's system.

Reply to
Peter Grey

Another way is to disable the ignition so that you crank the engine for a few seconds to get the oil circulating before starting. Needs a good battery though. It is also a load on the battery in very cold weather.

John

Reply to
John Manders

Defeats the system you want oil in before any turning

Reply to
HaroldA102

jtaylor

Look for Accusump via the Internet

Reply to
Jerry Martes

Yes, but it is low load turning and is better than just starting the engine cold. This was the method my engine builder advocated when firing my still streetable race motors that had sat for a while.

Peter

Reply to
Peter Grey

HaroldA102 wrote: Defeats the system you want oil in before any turning ^^^^^^^^^^^^ The Toyota Prius (gas/electric hybrid) starts and stops the engine repeatedly on a single trip. It is designed so the engine spins up to about

1000 RPM before it starts to fire. You would have a hard time doing this on an ordinary car, but it does show that the engineers consider advantages of spinning the engine at no load is beneficial.

Since this powerplant was designed from scratch, they had the option of installing an electric aux. oil pump, and they chose not to. I think the reason is that you don't JUST want oil in all the bearings--you want to develop a hydrodynamic wedge of oil to separate the bearing surfaces before the load comes on. This happens when the bearing rotates.

Reply to
Leo Lichtman

The accumulator is made by Moroso, and is available from Summit Racing.

There was one made by PreLuber(Lubrication Research?)

Have one, don't reccomend it, even if they're still in business, not carried by Summit Racing any longer. Runs(ran) 45 secs at startup to build pressure. Min was wired so it ran at shutdown also. Unintentionally. Tho they did have a control module specifically for turbocharges intended to run post shtdown.

I believe mine had 30-40 hours total time when it failed. Burns fuses, no longer runs. $500 + is way to much.

The marine equipment supply is whee Ive been lookiing as to replacing it.

If you go this route, get quick disconnect fittings, with anti-drain valves on the output side of the pump. Disconnect the line, connect the spare line that goes to your used oil can, and start the pump. Instant oil change!

gary

Reply to
lakemcd

If you go this route, get quick disconnect fittings, with

Good idea; filed.

Reply to
jtaylor

Reply to
John Caffrey

I thought these were standard equipment on turbo supercharged cars. Or do they have an accumulator to maintain pressure while the turbo spins down.

Dan

Reply to
Dan Caster

Is the spinning of the engine beneficial, or is it a way to reduce emissions by avoiding having the engine operate at very low speeds? Got any cites?

Cheers Trevor Jones

Reply to
Trevor Jones