Mandrel press tubing expander?

I am on a quest to find a quick and simple way to expand a 1.2" end of thinwall tubing from 1/4 OD to just under 5/16".

I can't seem to find any simple mandrel type tubing expanders. Barring any tools I can buy, I figured I could take the end of a .250 thickwall, cut slits in the end, and drive a tapered pin down it to expand the "petals" and my tubing end.

Thanks

Reply to
Robert Haston

Check with your local Plumbing or Air Conditioning supply houses. The flaring tools are used on copper tubing to extend or patch a run. My tools are stamped Imperial Eastman.

Regards

Jim Vrzal Holiday, Fl.

Robert Hast> I am on a quest to find a quick and simple way to expand a 1.2" end of

Reply to
Mawdeeb

What is the tubing material?

Reply to
Randal O'Brian

Aluminum or brass. It will be sealed inside a tube with oil and water, so it can't rust.

Reply to
Robert Haston

A simple tapered mandrel of the right dia. that can be driven into the end of the tubing will do the job on a small dia increase such as yours. You will need a lathe to make the mandrel out of some mild steel. The dia. of the mandrel might need experimentation to achieve the correct finished tube dia. Polish it, lube it with grease and drive it in. It can be done on the lathe easily if you chuck the tubing (you might need a snug fitting internal support rod to keep from crushing the tube) and put the mandrel in the tailstock chuck. Run lathe very slow and crank the mandrel into the tube with the tailstock ram.

Randy

Reply to
Randal O'Brian